My Song: "Heaven is a Place on Earth". Really.

zenarein
It’s nighttime, pitch black say for the waning crescent and the faint glimmering stars in the polluted skies of New York.

And in an empty soccer field, four high school students stand with one computer randomly placed in the wet grass and music blasting. It’s a dance party for four alone.

We look crazy; no doubt about it. From head banging to ballroom dancing to improvisation, we dance. Ingmar whisks me off my feet in a lift. Dana and Jane lay on the field, stargazing, letting the music flow over them.

The band Elvenking blares. For metal music, it’s rather soft and lyrical with a strumming guitar and pounding drums. Ingmar and I love it. Dana is a bit irked but listens nonetheless. Jane has no opinion.

Ingmar pulls Jane up for a fast foxtrot while I do improvisation, tumbling through the ground and falling more times than I can count. Blending into the music are our breathing and the sound of constant laughter. It fills my ears and escapes off into the obsidian sky.

Crickets chirped and sometimes students passed the field, wondering who in the world was blasting such random music at a time like that. In an open place, we were all in our private world, drowning in the music and the thrill of the chill night air.

“Heaven is a Place on Earth” by Elvenking is the song I remember of the night—the three-hour dance party with four crazy high school students who had nothing better to do and all the urge to have fun, simple fun. It’s simple words and folk music captures the moment forever ingrained in my head.

Before the school year ended, the four of us repeated this scene three more times, each more fun than the last. I learned the foxtrot, the disco, and other various ballroom dances in the darkness of the night.

High school life does not mean endless drugs, alcohol, and sex. To me, those things mean nothing—a world I’d rather not enter. With a few friends and the right music, a party and a fun time can exist anywhere.

Those nights are the ones I remember long after Ingmar and Dana left. I write about them in letters with words such as, “Let’s do it again sometime!” and “I miss it so much!” Between us four, it's a secret night not to be shared with others. It is not because the moment was scandalous or the like but rather because it was a time that symbolizes our friendship and a fun that only we could understand.

I play Elvenking every once in a while in the privacy of my room. Behind the locked door, I do a little jig, a little dance complete with hopping and falling. In the words of my favorite song “Heaven is a place on Earth”. Sometimes, it’s just under night sky in an empty grass field and with the right people.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:39:23 PM