My Song: Fly by Nikki Minaj always gives me hope

yetta1ready
Speaking up is not an easy thing for me. I use to be a very outspoken person until I hit middle school. During that time I was bullied by many different kids. I was told that what I had to say was insignificant and stupid. It changed me in the worst way. I stopped talking. I hated doing presentations at school. I hated public speaking in general. This mindset followed me into high school. It got a little better over my freshmen year but speaking in front of others still crippled me with fear. So it was a surprise to everyone, including me, when I joined the Speech team at my school during my sophomore year.

It was a struggle. It was a battle between my stage fright and me. I hated going to practice and performing in front of my coach and fellow teammates. I felt like everything I did and said was awful. I felt like I didn’t belong. The thought of going to our first Speech meet scared me senseless. So on the bus ride to that meet I did what usually calmed me down, I listened to music. The first song that played was Fly by Nikki Minaj.

“I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive. I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise, to fly.”

And slowly but surely, the song filled me up with determination. I knew that I wasn’t going to be any good, I wasn’t going to get good scores or good critiques, and strangely, I was okay with that. Being the perfectionist I am, this was a new feeling for me. That song filled me with courage, a kind of courage I had never felt before. It gave me hope and it got me through that first meet without me having a panic attack.

For all the other meets after that I always listened to that song. It became the soundtrack of Speech for me. Joining Speech was a very impulsive thing for me to do, and I’m not impulsive, like ever. But it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Speech is the most fun I’ve had since I was a little kid. It’s given me the strength to do things that are out of my comfort zone, things that are new to me, and things that are scary. It’s made me a better person and I wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Whenever I hear that song I think of Speech and it automatically fills me with hope and joy and laughter and memories and all the good things in my life at the moment. This song is a reminder of one of the most important things I’ve learned in my short life, that it’s okay to be me.