"Fifteen" by Taylor Swift

roseykarina
The night prior to my first day of high school was as I’m sure it is for most freshmen . . . Nerve-racking. Just the idea of attending a new school with unfamiliar hallways, classrooms, and people made my stomach feel queasy. The one thing that was able to calm me down was music. I resorted to one of my favorite musicians for a little help. Taylor Swift’s honest and consoling lyrics to her song “Fifteen” off of her sophomore album “Fearless” seemed to be just what I needed. The song is written as though Swift is walking the listener through her freshman year of high school, from beginning to end.

Stepping out of the car and walking up to the front doors on the first morning of 9th grade was completely frightening. To help sooth my tension, I repeated Swift’s lyrics in my head,

“You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors, it’s the morning of your very first day. . . . Count to ten, take it in. This is life before you know who you’re supposed to be.”

Not only were those lyrics completely relatable, but I felt as though someone was there to go through it with me. Knowing Taylor Swift could do it, made me truly believe I could too. This song was a sense of reassurance for me as a freshman that everything would be OK. High school is such a profound part of people’s lives and as Swift says in the song,

“I’ve found time can heal most anything, and you just might find who you’re supposed to be.”

Now as a senior, looking back on the past four years of my life I realize that I did in fact find who I’m supposed to be.