My Song: Beautiful People

theneonadolescent
As children, we’re taught an important lesson: life is unfair. At the tender age we first are introduced to this concept, the lesson only ever extends itself to superficial and trivial matters. You can’t always get the toys you want or the candy you crave. It was an excuse for explainable phenomena incomprehensible to a young mind.

As I grew older, the true form of this proverb revealed itself to me. Life wasn’t about equality or equal opportunity. To claw my way up, I couldn’t rely on merit alone. It seemed earning rewards wasn’t as black-and-white as it had once been. The world was a game of tricky manipulation, sprinkled with honeyed compliments and sugary-sweet tones.

And even then, it seemed that the universe, in all its marvelous and infuriating complexity, seemed to cast its celestial glow on a blessed few. People who didn’t earn their way or show any sense of concern seemed to get everything they wanted from the respect of others to positions of power and notability. What had they don’t that I hadn’t except for smiled pretty for the camera? Why did nature allow someone who didn’t seem to compete with the rest of us in this high school survival of the fittest thrive? Someone who lacked depth of thought and earnest work ethic but possessed intrusively vast social skills or someone who traversed through high school with an uppity air of control that was only responded with intense dislike should not have ascended higher on the pyramid than the rest of us.

Somewhere along this path of irritation and self-pity, I discovered the song “Beautiful People” by Cher Lloyd. The song was most likely intended to represent emotions stemming from romantic relationships, but I took the words literally as they spelled out my conflict word for word. "Because it's beautiful people like you who get whatever they want." It sang to me exactly what I had been feeling. But instead of just reminding me of my problem, it helped me realize that I wasn't the only one with this resentment. Plenty of people were losing opportunities they deserved to these undeserving "beautiful people". Here I was, complaining of my own problems, when others were probably suffering much worse injustices. My problems were insignificant and universal at the same time.

It took a melody to make me realize that everyone has "beautiful people" who take what they want from them. I was a self-absorbed teenager who felt the world was out to suppress me, but a single song changed that. We all triumph together, but we suffer together as well.