STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: Weightless.

carlylikeshercanon
I think we all have that ONE song that means so much to us, that when we hear it, our bodies instantly become covered in goose bumps. That song that speaks to us so much more than the rest, that takes us back to a special moment in our lives which will never be forgotten. For me, that song is Weightless, by my favorite band All Time Low. I first heard the song when I was in 8th grade, but it wasn’t until I was a sophomore in high school, experiencing the worst year of my life, that the song really spoke to me. Seeing my favorite band live was incredible, but hearing this song stood out the most.
My sophomore year of high school was hands down the worst year of my life. I was in an awful school where I was miserable EVERY second of EVERY day. I had lost hope in just about everything. The ONLY thing that I looked forward to was seeing my favorite band All Time Low live. Music is everything to me, and this band was what I had grown to live for. I ended up meeting and hugging my biggest inspiration in the world, Alex Gaskarth. It was INCREDIBLE, but surprisingly, simply hearing the song Weighless managed to change everything.
Even though I was miserable, that night, I was TRULY happy. I didn’t have to fake it, it was real. And when the band started to play Weightless, the words spoke to me more than they ever did before. “I wanna feel weightless, and that should be enough. But I’m stuck in this f****** rut, waiting on a second hand pick me up and I’m over getting older. If I could just find the time, than I would never let another day go by, I’m over getting old. Maybe it’s not my weekend, but it’s gonna be MY year. And I’m so sick of watching all the minutes pass as I go nowhere. And this is my reaction, to everything I fear. Cause I’ve been going crazy, I don’t wanna waste another minute here.” I had heard it a million times, and never realized how much it related to me until that night. I remember clearly, jumping up and down, singing at the top of my lungs, thinking that the song couldn’t be truer, or more fitting. Goose bumps covered my body, and because of that song, I realized all I needed to do.
I now go to a new school, where I feel more accepted and happier than I ever believed was possible. I now hear the song Weightless and I get goose bumps, remembering the night that it spoke to me more than I ever thought it would. It’s now my senior year and I am HAPPY. I’m living by the lyrics “Maybe it’s not my weekend, but it’s gonna be my year”, and just thinking about what this one simple song has done for me, has brought me to tears.
Rate this:
Comment by bethanysocal7

This is beautiful to me because I found Weightless during my sophomore year too. That song carried me through so much of 2014, and the lines "maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year" never ceased to remind me that even if the present sucked, better times were ahead. I also got to see them live last April and meet Alex. And this song, All Time Low and all that they signify for me will never be forgotten.
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 3:30:13 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy