My Song: Weightless.

carlylikeshercanon
I think we all have that ONE song that means so much to us, that when we hear it, our bodies instantly become covered in goose bumps. That song that speaks to us so much more than the rest, that takes us back to a special moment in our lives which will never be forgotten. For me, that song is Weightless, by my favorite band All Time Low. I first heard the song when I was in 8th grade, but it wasn’t until I was a sophomore in high school, experiencing the worst year of my life, that the song really spoke to me. Seeing my favorite band live was incredible, but hearing this song stood out the most.
My sophomore year of high school was hands down the worst year of my life. I was in an awful school where I was miserable EVERY second of EVERY day. I had lost hope in just about everything. The ONLY thing that I looked forward to was seeing my favorite band All Time Low live. Music is everything to me, and this band was what I had grown to live for. I ended up meeting and hugging my biggest inspiration in the world, Alex Gaskarth. It was INCREDIBLE, but surprisingly, simply hearing the song Weighless managed to change everything.
Even though I was miserable, that night, I was TRULY happy. I didn’t have to fake it, it was real. And when the band started to play Weightless, the words spoke to me more than they ever did before. “I wanna feel weightless, and that should be enough. But I’m stuck in this f****** rut, waiting on a second hand pick me up and I’m over getting older. If I could just find the time, than I would never let another day go by, I’m over getting old. Maybe it’s not my weekend, but it’s gonna be MY year. And I’m so sick of watching all the minutes pass as I go nowhere. And this is my reaction, to everything I fear. Cause I’ve been going crazy, I don’t wanna waste another minute here.” I had heard it a million times, and never realized how much it related to me until that night. I remember clearly, jumping up and down, singing at the top of my lungs, thinking that the song couldn’t be truer, or more fitting. Goose bumps covered my body, and because of that song, I realized all I needed to do.
I now go to a new school, where I feel more accepted and happier than I ever believed was possible. I now hear the song Weightless and I get goose bumps, remembering the night that it spoke to me more than I ever thought it would. It’s now my senior year and I am HAPPY. I’m living by the lyrics “Maybe it’s not my weekend, but it’s gonna be my year”, and just thinking about what this one simple song has done for me, has brought me to tears.
Comment by bethanysocal7

This is beautiful to me because I found Weightless during my sophomore year too. That song carried me through so much of 2014, and the lines "maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year" never ceased to remind me that even if the present sucked, better times were ahead. I also got to see them live last April and meet Alex. And this song, All Time Low and all that they signify for me will never be forgotten.
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 3:30:13 AM