STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: “The Climb” By Miley Cyrus

student1
Miley’s song has always hit home for me. Like the song was written for me and about me. It pin points a lot of emotions and thoughts I’ve had throughout my life. I am 18 now and reside in a treatment facility.

In the opening of the song Miley sings about dreams she has had and about how she always hears a voice saying she won’t reach it. She’ll fail. I’ve had this feeling too because of my current situation. I have heard voices telling me that I’m not going to make it, I’ll fail. Looking back, the voice was a mere reflection of my own. I always doubted myself. I have felt that every time I take 10 steps forward, I take 20 steps back.

I am in a treatment facility to get help with my anger. My anger is what landed me here. I was charged with felonious assault with intent to do great bodily harm less then murder with a weapon. Before arriving at treatment I was warned that my next assault would land me in prison. This is where my 20 steps back come into play. I was doing well at first and then ended up assaulting 3 staff in one night. I was so scared and lost all faith because I thought I was going to prison. I had no motivation to do anything. Miley’s song changed this.

The chorus hits very close to home. Miley talks about how there’s always going to be another mountain to climb and knows she could lose. Miley also states that it’s not about how fast she gets there or what is waiting on the other side. It’s the climb. I often look too far ahead which would pertain to the fact that it’s not about how fast I get there. All that matters is me getting healthy and learning the steps I need to get over the mountain. Moving too fast caused me to loose. The day I felt as though I lost and was defeated caused me to cut myself in order to release the pain. That is when my uphill battle came to an end and I kept sliding down.

In the last verse Miley talks about struggles and taking chances. She acknowledges that sometimes she will get knocked down but knows she has to stay strong and keep trying.

“The Climb” is personal to me because I can relate to many feelings stated in the song. I have been through a lot in the last 8 years and to hear Miley’s song gives me relief that I’m not alone. I can make it up the mountain. If I keep pushing I will reach my dreams and prove many people wrong. I will be successful regardless of who doubts me. If I believe in myself it won’t matter what others think. I have shed many tears listening to this song and because of it; I know that I’ll make it with or without support!

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy