My Song: “The Climb” By Miley Cyrus

student1
Miley’s song has always hit home for me. Like the song was written for me and about me. It pin points a lot of emotions and thoughts I’ve had throughout my life. I am 18 now and reside in a treatment facility.

In the opening of the song Miley sings about dreams she has had and about how she always hears a voice saying she won’t reach it. She’ll fail. I’ve had this feeling too because of my current situation. I have heard voices telling me that I’m not going to make it, I’ll fail. Looking back, the voice was a mere reflection of my own. I always doubted myself. I have felt that every time I take 10 steps forward, I take 20 steps back.

I am in a treatment facility to get help with my anger. My anger is what landed me here. I was charged with felonious assault with intent to do great bodily harm less then murder with a weapon. Before arriving at treatment I was warned that my next assault would land me in prison. This is where my 20 steps back come into play. I was doing well at first and then ended up assaulting 3 staff in one night. I was so scared and lost all faith because I thought I was going to prison. I had no motivation to do anything. Miley’s song changed this.

The chorus hits very close to home. Miley talks about how there’s always going to be another mountain to climb and knows she could lose. Miley also states that it’s not about how fast she gets there or what is waiting on the other side. It’s the climb. I often look too far ahead which would pertain to the fact that it’s not about how fast I get there. All that matters is me getting healthy and learning the steps I need to get over the mountain. Moving too fast caused me to loose. The day I felt as though I lost and was defeated caused me to cut myself in order to release the pain. That is when my uphill battle came to an end and I kept sliding down.

In the last verse Miley talks about struggles and taking chances. She acknowledges that sometimes she will get knocked down but knows she has to stay strong and keep trying.

“The Climb” is personal to me because I can relate to many feelings stated in the song. I have been through a lot in the last 8 years and to hear Miley’s song gives me relief that I’m not alone. I can make it up the mountain. If I keep pushing I will reach my dreams and prove many people wrong. I will be successful regardless of who doubts me. If I believe in myself it won’t matter what others think. I have shed many tears listening to this song and because of it; I know that I’ll make it with or without support!