My Song: You'll Be In My Heart gave me the strength to accept what cannot be changed.

suddenfury

Knock, knock. No reply. I pushed open the door into the darkness to find my father on the ground shaking, unable to move, unable to speak, only the faint whispers of inaudible words that through my tear blurred eyes and sob filled ears made out to be words of little comfort, “Don’t be scared.” We raced to the hospital.

Don’t be scared? I was downright frightened – frightened of losing the one person I cared for most. Growing up, I was a caterpillar, supported by a leaf to keep me up and a leaf above to shelter me from storms. My dad has always been that shoulder I could cry on, that arm to lift me up. And now, I felt naked; I was too young to spin my own cocoon and instead, I fell into the abyss below…

The days dragged on. No longer was I focused in school. Regardless, I wore a smile when inside, my every thought was plagued with worries about my father. Will he make it? Fervently, I visited the hospital to find that the bleeding didn’t stop, the blood pressure didn’t drop, the hemorrhage relentless. Weeks turned into months until one day, I turned on the television for my comatose father and came upon a familiar song. “My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm”, Phil Collin’s calm timbre brought back memories and promises of a long ago childhood with my father while watching Tarzan and somehow I knew it would be okay. It was as if my father was speaking to me through Phil Collins, “I may not be with you, but you’ve got to hold on.” In a way, although my father may not know it, "You’ll Be In My Heart" is our song for it holds a myriad of conflicting emotions battling in a melee of chaos, feelings of lost, of continuance, but most of all, hope. In that moment, I was given a second perspective, a third dimension to Tarzan as it applied to my life. All along this movie has been telling me to face adversity and persevere until I succeeded. As a little girl, I watched Tarzan with my father and once again, we were brought back in the presence of this classic song to be given the strength to persist as Tarzan had.

There are things that will always remain, but there are those that simply have to move with the tide of time, changing and twisting, sometimes bringing the stars and others rendering wreckage. But we have to learn to flow with the currents- to adapt and flex, to break the surface for another breath, another chance at life. We cannot linger at the bottom no matter now peaceful it may be to remain. I have been thrown and beaten, but I have also learned to swim toward the sun and grasp at another chance. I can do this, I can move on. So, Daddy, no matter what happens, you’ll be in my heart, always.

Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:49:57 PM