STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: How "Baby" by Justin Bieber Helped Me Reach Nirvana

kittyhearted
Seventh grade. We cruised through the year like high school seniors. Pencils tapping. Staring out windows. Questions, questions. Where are you going to school next year? Graduation. Cookout. All of this swirled in our minds like windstorms, gaining velocity as the year’s end approached.
This was our school, our show. Our grand finale. Some of my classmates had been here their entire school career, singing and dancing and acting literally since kindergarten. Out of all of us, they were the most excited. My heart soared for them because they’d finally be able to explore the world. A number of students were waiting for audition results from the sister high school, which promised hard work and adventure if they made the cut. Despite this, we were relaxing and enjoying our last year.
That’s where the dance came in. Usually I could skip dances without remorse, but this was prom. No one wants to miss prom. I was especially excited because it fell on my birthday. It’s so much fun to dress up and feel beautiful, and I spared no expense. My dress was a black and white floral number that ended at my knees. My hair was twisted into a complex updo, a labyrinth of braids that twirled and twined around each other. Add a short pair of heels, and I was ready to party.
At school, the air hummed with energy, and my body hummed with anticipation. There was none of the lollygagging usually seen at school dances; we were dancing in earnest a few minutes after the doors opened. The night passed in a blur, like dark smears of paint across a canvas just before you see the masterpiece within.
Sometime during the dance, everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. I beamed at everyone, absolutely sure the night couldn’t get any better. But it did.
The world is full of Lasts. There’s always the last smile, the last call, the last breath. Most of the time, we never know a Last is coming. But, while I was jumping and dancing in the crowd of my friends, I knew.
I thought you’d always be mine, mine.
At that moment, I floated. The music poured through me like a new heartbeat, and I felt free of the other bodies, of my fears about my audition, of the bittersweet pain of leaving home. I was one with the world.
Then I lost the feeling. Once more, I became a girl jumping in a crowd at a dance, and this would be her Last time to see all her friends in one place having fun.
The night ended, as nights are wont to do. I rode home with my eyes half-closed, a laminated star in my lap.
Arlena M., it declared in my best friend’s beautiful script. Happy 13th birthday! May 7th.
It’s the sole reminder from that night that I really was a shooting star, aiming for unknown galaxies.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy