My Song: "All Signs Point to Lauderdale" by A Day to Remember Points Me on My Journey

clegan777
“I hate this town, it’s so washed up … they tell me that it’s just bad luck. When will I find where I fit in?” I was going through tracks on a CD my friend had burned me two years ago. Before I knew it I was listening to low bass sounds and electric guitar chords. Then I heard these words, “I hate this town, it’s so washed up … when will I find where I fit in?” I heard, for the first time, a song that spoke to me. First it was the words, and then the strums of the guitars. It was all merging together perfectly. I could hear the echo of the words, so many memories playing back in my head. “I never know things to say to you, to help me prove that I’m still on your side.” I didn’t know what to say to my parents. Lately everything they were saying was making me so angry. Maybe it was because I was ignorant; maybe it was because I was an emotional teenage girl. I don’t know. It was everything: school, friends, the drama, the pressure, and it was all bubbling up inside me. I would walk through the school halls silent and come home to unleash the anger and frustration on my parents. We yelled, screamed, and then I would run, they would hear the slam of my door. “I hate this town it’s so washed up … When will I find where I fit in?”
“I just can’t be tied down. Nothing comes between me and my plans.” Why didn’t they get it? No one did, not my parents, my friends, no one understood. It’s not that I don’t like school or home, it’s just that I’m ready to leave, leave them all, not in the dust, but just for a little while, enough to feel free. I remember the day I came home from camp. It had been eight days of freedom. I wasn’t wild, but I liked making my own decisions, being around different people, change. When I got home that day it was like it had been before: parents, rules, drama, life’s complications surrounding me. I yelled, cried, got into another fight with my mom, not because I didn’t love her, but didn’t she get that I missed the freedom? The thrill of being in charge of myself was gone. My bedroom door slammed shut yet again. “I hate this town, it’s so washed up … When will I find where I fit in?” Through everything, the ups and downs, “All Signs Point to Lauderdale” is always there. I can be anything, anyone. It’s okay to make mistakes, and it’s okay to be unhappy. “I can’t live my life always backing down … At least I can say I stand for something … and don’t believe a word they’re telling to you.” One day I’ll find where I fit in. I’ll keep searching as long as all signs point to Lauderdale.