My Song: "100 Years" by Five for Fighting Made Me Sixteen for a Lifetime

WiseBroad
I wonder how many times she’s going to share that picture. Yep, posting statuses about you getting wasted is really going to get you far in life. He’s going out with WHO?!? Seemingly endless thoughts subconsciously filled my mind as I rummaged through my Facebook news feed during my daily dose of internet creeping.

“Put that phone down and spend some quality time with your mother.” We were in the car on our way to my best friend’s house. There is nothing in the world I wouldn’t do for my mom, even if it means cutting down my phone usage. Obeying, I logged off and turned up the radio. A vaguely familiar melody of piano keys filled the car as we zoomed along. I recognized the song as Five for Fighting’s “100 Years.” A molasses-like ballad depicting the life of a man who’s dying. Yeah, that’ll really pump up a party! I went to go change the station to something more invigorating like Nikki Minaj’s “Pound the Alarm,” but mom stopped me, saying that it’s important for me to absorb this song.

I’m fifteen for a moment. I think back to when I was fifteen, a ‘whole’ year ago. A lot has changed since then. I now find myself more mature, outgoing, confident. It stunned me to think how much I changed without even realizing it.

I’m forty-five for a moment. I think of my parents, who are somewhat around that age. Will I be lucky enough to experience the loving marriage that they share one day?

Another blink of an eye / Sixty-seven is gone. I think of my Grandfather, a hardworking man who is getting ready to retire. Will I succeed in life as much as he did?

I’m ninety-nine for a moment. By this time, I’m full fledged bawling. I cried for the man who spent his life waiting for an opportunity that never came. I cried for myself. For fear that one day I too would be like this man because I had wasted valuable time on meaningless things. Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. What does it all mean in life? Nothing.

From this point forward, the entire spectrum of my lifestyle changed. I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to be worth something more than the average teenager. Now, I volunteer at my local temple. I call friends for a civilized conversation rather than text. When I get bored, I pick up a book rather than pick up my phone. I learned to appreciate and absorb every good thing that happens within a day. I realized that if I lived life to the fullest during every stage, there’s no need to feel like the man in the song. If I soak up every year of my life, I will still have the memories and the feelings that go along with that year inside me. Now, I’m no longer sixteen for a moment.

I'm sixteen for a lifetime.