My Song: Shattered (by Trading Yesterday), just like my amnesiac ex-best friend's memory...

KuronoxShizaya
The memories are worth the pain. I never understood that phrase until eighth grade, when I gained the best friend ever but I also received her problems. She told me her dad was abusive, she showed me the bruises, begging me not to tell anyone. She loved him too much to turn him in. Months went by and finally I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the counselor and told him about Alex's father. Terrified, Alex claimed that it was a story she made up with me and that it was all a lie, I refused to go along with it. Then summer came along with months of silence. Alex didn't return any of my texts. I tried calling her cell phone. No answer. It was a very quiet, and lonely, summer. Finally it was time for school to start up again. On the first day I waited for her in tense anticipation. When she arrived I raced up to her and hugged her tightly. However something I had never foreseen happening, something dreadful was suddenly taking place. She backed away slowly. "Who are you?" She whispered. I thought she was just pretending but after two weeks had passed, my confidence wavered. Still skeptical but growing more suspicious as the days flew by, I changed tactics. I had a friend bring up some of the main events that took place last year. Alex didn't remember any of it. The next day I stopped by the nurse's office and inquired about Alex. I was told that Alex had a form of retrograde amnesia that had been caused by a traumatic event she had experienced last year. Apparently Alex had blocked out all the memories as a coping method. The nurse was suspicious of me. She made me promise not to repeat what she told me to anyone. Still in a daze I promised not to tell as I walked calmly out of the room. As the door swung shut behind me silent tears slid down my face, carving through my make up and leaving glistening tracks behind, as realization set in. Alex didn't remember me. It was all just... Gone. And if I tried to make her remember or if I got close to her she could have a relapse and her memories would return. I made another promise that day. I swore to myself that I was never going to talk to Alex again, to merely watch from afar as she moved on and lived her life. It's been a year since that day. My heart still aches whenever I glance over at her. It seems like she's always wherever I go. It's been hard to watch her make new friends and whisper secrets into someone else's ear. Jealously and longing claw at me. Alex was my everything. That incredible year, that lasted for only a fleeting moment, will forever stretch out in my mind. She will always be in my memories. Even if I'll never be in hers.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:45:27 PM