My Song: “Fifteen” by Taylor Swift eased the nerves I had as I, for the first time, pushed open the doors to a brand new school.

KaceyJaceyXD
It took everything I had not to turn around and run back. A new world stood in front of me… And I was separated from it by nothing more than a pane of glass on hinges. My best friend took it like it was nothing; he whipped open the door and padded into the front hallway with confidence. His sophomore brother gave me a little nudge to ease me on into the school, the floors of which I’d only touched briefly the day before to grab my schedule before I had run off to an appointment. Posters covered the walls, advertising the different clubs available to the student body. Amongst them were the signs that read “Freshmen, to the auditorium.” I’d lost my friend in a wave of children that had hurried by, so I made my way to the back row of the school’s rather small auditorium. I hadn’t seen the people that filled the seats in front of me in two years. Insecurities flooded me. Would they even remember me? I recognized a few of the friendly faces, and made my way to say hi to the friends I hadn’t seen in a while. Everyone around me only looked a bit familiar, they’d all grown into people that really should be going into high school. I looked at myself and had to wonder if I still looked like the same little child I’d been before. I’d be there for the next four years, I had to hope I’d be looked up to. I walked to my first class, uneasy at first because I didn’t recognize any of the faces that stared back at me. Just as the bell rang, a friend of mine from so long ago called safe as she stepped in the doorway milliseconds before the twinkle of the tardy bell sang. She sat and introduced me to someone that I now consider a close friend. We played the silly games that the first day brings, until the bell signaled ending of the first period. I had Fifteen blasting in my ear the entire time. It gave me hope. I found that the remainder of my day was filled with friends that I had actually stayed close with over the years. I even had lunch period with a few of them. Taylor Swift sang the words just right, as a freshman you don’t know who you’re supposed to be. It’s now that I’m supposed to be figuring that out. So in I went, jumping in with both feet, but being careful to look where I would fall. To everyone that has to look forward to this next year, and years to come, it’s okay to be nervous, just remember, every other ninth grader is also new to the world of high school.
Comment by SOFLarchive

I know how you felt. I was a little nervous about high school years ago and survived. Good luck to you and nice essay.
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:29:42 AM