STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: “Fifteen” by Taylor Swift eased the nerves I had as I, for the first time, pushed open the doors to a brand new school.

KaceyJaceyXD
It took everything I had not to turn around and run back. A new world stood in front of me… And I was separated from it by nothing more than a pane of glass on hinges. My best friend took it like it was nothing; he whipped open the door and padded into the front hallway with confidence. His sophomore brother gave me a little nudge to ease me on into the school, the floors of which I’d only touched briefly the day before to grab my schedule before I had run off to an appointment. Posters covered the walls, advertising the different clubs available to the student body. Amongst them were the signs that read “Freshmen, to the auditorium.” I’d lost my friend in a wave of children that had hurried by, so I made my way to the back row of the school’s rather small auditorium. I hadn’t seen the people that filled the seats in front of me in two years. Insecurities flooded me. Would they even remember me? I recognized a few of the friendly faces, and made my way to say hi to the friends I hadn’t seen in a while. Everyone around me only looked a bit familiar, they’d all grown into people that really should be going into high school. I looked at myself and had to wonder if I still looked like the same little child I’d been before. I’d be there for the next four years, I had to hope I’d be looked up to. I walked to my first class, uneasy at first because I didn’t recognize any of the faces that stared back at me. Just as the bell rang, a friend of mine from so long ago called safe as she stepped in the doorway milliseconds before the twinkle of the tardy bell sang. She sat and introduced me to someone that I now consider a close friend. We played the silly games that the first day brings, until the bell signaled ending of the first period. I had Fifteen blasting in my ear the entire time. It gave me hope. I found that the remainder of my day was filled with friends that I had actually stayed close with over the years. I even had lunch period with a few of them. Taylor Swift sang the words just right, as a freshman you don’t know who you’re supposed to be. It’s now that I’m supposed to be figuring that out. So in I went, jumping in with both feet, but being careful to look where I would fall. To everyone that has to look forward to this next year, and years to come, it’s okay to be nervous, just remember, every other ninth grader is also new to the world of high school.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

I know how you felt. I was a little nervous about high school years ago and survived. Good luck to you and nice essay.
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:29:42 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy