STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: "Not Alone" by Darren Criss taught me to accept myself unconditionally

warblerinlove
Great people aren’t born, they’re made. Young children are like tomatoes - they’re soft and bruise easily, but can grow ripe and beautiful with proper outside influences. For someone to be a great person is obviously an opinion - greatness is a perception, not a tangible fact. In my eyes, however, one of the greatest people ever cultivated in the garden of history would have to be the musician, Darren Criss.
I have known Darren Criss’s song, “Not Alone,” for two years now. I don’t even remember the first time I heard it. Back then, it was just the soothing rhythm of his words that mattered to me. The song “Not Alone” was originally performed in the production, “A Very Potter Musical.” Later, the song was professionally recorded on Darren’s EP “Human”. The song is flexible, working flawlessly within the scope of musical theater, while simultaneously representing itself in the larger realm of the mainstream. Whether Darren’s fans find his music through his work with Glee or through their support of Starkid Productions, this song in particular crosses the boundaries of the music industry simply because the message itself reaches all audiences.
Ginny Weasley sings, “And nothing's ever gonna bring us down/'Cause nothing can keep me from lovin’ you/And you know it's true,” to a weary Harry Potter in an effort to coax him to tell her why he has been pulling away from his friends and family. Harry feels as if he is a grenade, pulling everyone he loves down and by giving himself up to Voldemort, he will be minimizing the casualties. With the power ballad “Not Alone” in his head, Harry Potter reaches out to his friends and learns that to harness the strength he has to help stop evil, he should start by learning to love and by extension, learning to trust.
As I started my first year of junior high school with this new-found sense of self, I noticed a dramatic shift in the way the other kids treated me. All of a sudden, they were drawn to me. It was odd, but it immediately made sense.
I had found me! And I liked me. Turns out, I was a pretty cool person. Who knew? Sadly, up until that point, I didn’t.
And that’s the service that musicians like Darren Criss provide. They inspire those who need to be inspired and empower those who are already empowered. They remind you that items such as money, popularity, and beauty are just fleeting things in a world already saturated with things.
Thank you for the reminder, Darren Criss. Thank you for reminding me it’s okay to feel, to love, to continue putting myself out there for the world to experience. The song, “Not Alone” brought up feelings I thought had died with my flawed, idealist interpretation of reality. Writing was my way of learning to sing, and I couldn’t have done that without “Not Alone”.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

Good essay. You're surrounded by people who care about you. I thought I was alone, but turns out I wasn't.
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:33:24 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy