My Song: Keep Your Eyes Open was my one-song summer soundtrack.

discovery.
As my best friend and I sat in the back seat, barreling down Route 50 East towards the first leg of our summer vacation together with two dogs and four people crammed into the cab of one truck, I stared out the window. It would come to be the best summer of my life; watching the Chesapeake water kiss the land off of the bay, New York city streets, congested and dirty - I saw them through rose-tinted glasses - and moshing at Warped Tour, sweating and smiling, feeling my chest embrace the whole of the crowd with my euphoria. Writing every single day, nothing but writing, staying up until the sun emerged and its pink lips first brushed the atmosphere. Even if someone spoke to me on the first long car ride of that summer, I pretended not to hear them, because half of the three hour ride was the same song cracking my eardrums with its volume.

It was the perfect song for a trip, the perfect one-song soundtrack for my summer, and in my minds eye I imagined the same song playing in two years when I finally make it to the "great unknown" that my song talks about. My love has always been moving, whether physically or mentally. I'm always restless. Anywhere that I can forge a new path, a place where no one knows who I am or where I've come from, has always been the perfect place in my mind. Sometimes the change only is in my mind. I'm always opening my arms to new ways of thinking while staying true to my morals and beliefs.

Keep Your Eyes Open by NEEDTOBREATHE is a song that lifts me out of my own shell. It's all about breaking free and doing what scares you. After three years of depression and fighting eating disorders and self-harm, I'm ready to "tear down the prison walls" that I've spent so much time building. I want to be the person who people remember for doing what she wanted to do, despite society's norms and regardless of what people said. I'm keeping my eyes open. I will not "take the sadness to the grave." My eyes will be open to the people around me and to myself. As the song claims, "I will never let you fall apart," and I won't let myself fall apart again, and if I have to fight to keep those important to me together, then I will keep them from falling apart as well.

I know that it's not ideal for some people, but breaking away from everything I've ever known in a physical sense is all I've ever wanted. I suppose I'll always be looking for something to satisfy me, and Keep Your Eyes open will be there for me throughout it all and I'll be happily belting out lyrics at the top of my lungs, no matter how horrible my voice is.