My Song: "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay Inspired to Have Faith

korithestar
Quote:
Courage isn't having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don't have strength. - Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France

I was home-schooled for two long, fulfilling, and painful years. Without the distractions of tradition school life, I felt weak against the crushing sense of isolation I was facing and pressure to define who I was as an individual. When tears of frustration and the pain of loneliness would overwhelm me, Viva la Vida's lyrical embrace was my solace. Viva la Vida, by Coldplay, is my favorite song because listening to it when I felt depressed helped me get through a difficult period in my life by encouraging me to have faith in myself.

Being able to connect with the song’s message helped revive my spirit. The lyrics to Viva la Vida were based upon the moments before Napoleon's death in exile. In the verses, amidst poignant and emphatic tunes, Napoleon recounts his former glory ("I use to rule the world") and concludes with his downfall ("Now in the morning I sleep alone/ Sweep the streets I use to own"). I identified with the protagonist because I too felt defeated. I was consistently frustrated by the growing challenges of interpreting life as I knew it. The excitement of reading Balzac was coupled with the question, "How does this change or align with my perception of things?" I wished I had someone to consult, to share my thoughts and ideas with, but I knew no one with interests similar to mine. When my life seemed destined for an eternity spent in hopeless confusion, I would lie on my bed and put Viva la Vida on repeat on my iPod player. The emotional weight of the tunes and lyrics would inspire me to continue trying because anything worth doing in life is hard and a passionate attitude signifies that you're leading a life worth living!

Listening to Viva la Vida reaffirmed my ambitions. I had determined early in my childhood that I would preserve the significance of my life by becoming a writer. Life was isolating without someone who understood my motivations. Often, I found myself going to my room, and playing my favorite song. As poor a moral role model Napoleon may be, Viva la Vida reminded me that difficult sacrifices are made by people in order to become worthy of what they want to do later in life.

By enduring and having the courage to triumph despite adversity, we create life legacies that can stand the test of time. At thirteen, I was making little discoveries about myself and the world around me every day, but what was the point without someone to share my excitement with? I would complain, "I miss not having friends around and no one understands me!" My Mom said, "Things will get better! I can see you're on a path. Just have faith in yourself."

Resources:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/viva-la-vida-lyrics-coldplay.html