STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: "Tears in Heaven" taught me to cherish every moment

sjluvsu
“Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven. Will it be the same, if I saw you in heaven.”

Artists often say that the best lyrics come from one’s past experiences. Whether telling a story or sending out a message, composers have the freedom and privilege to express themselves through their songs in a more subtle way. Own experiences are huge inspirations for artists and later on, these meaningful and valuable lyrics encourage, support, and influence the listeners.

The quoted lyrics above are the first two lines of the song, Tears in Heaven by the English singer and songwriter, Eric Clapton. He wrote this song about his four year old son, Conor, that accidentally fell from a window in a 53-story apartment and unfortunately passed away. As the lyrics illustrate, he used music as a healing process to get past this tragedy and he traveled through an emotional journey where the pain was inevitable but he knew that he had to be “strong and carry on” with his life.

Now, here is the role that this song played in my life. One night, after I ate dinner with my family, we were heading back home. Usually my parents and I have different tastes in music so we always disagree about what to play in the car. But my dad turned on a song that I immediately liked and fascinated me. So I asked him, “What’s the name of this song?” My dad smiled and said, “Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. Do you like it?” I nodded and answered, “Yeah, it’s a very pretty song.” Then he started to explain the meaning behind these lyrics. Afterwards, I asked him to play it again a couple more times. During the car ride home, I was quiet, which was uncommon for me. It was almost as if, with this song, my dad and I connected because we both felt the same way. I thought about the lyrics and imagined how I would feel if something like this were to happen to me.

I turned my head right to left and watched my family with a different, more grateful light. I promised myself to cherish every moment I had with them, recall the good memories, and forget the bad ones. Then, it became apparent to me that even though this is just one song, there are misfortunes like this, that happen everyday. People lose their loved ones and close friends, and sometimes they are too late to turn back and change the ending. They have to live with their regrets for the rest of their lives. They wish they could have done something differently and not have been so oblivious. But sadly, it’s all too late. I truly understood the saying, “You never know what you are missing until you lose it.”

Even today, I enjoy listening to this song whenever I get in the car because it reminds me of what is most important to me in life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy