My Song: "I Learned from You" by Miley Cyrus reminded me of how much my parents gave to me and how I should give back.

fablehavenfairy97
I was in my ungrateful section of high school, taking advantage of everything in my life, thinking everything thing came from magic and nobody worked for anything. I was never particularly rude I guess, but I wasn’t so sweet either. I remember a family movie night, and we decided to watch “Bridge to Terebithia”. Slightly reluctant, I sat down on the couch to watch it. The song when the credits were playing started rolling and I heard some words I needed to hear, I think.
I didn’t want to listen to what you were saying,
I thought that I knew all I need to know
I just remember thinking how beautiful and utterly true those words were. In general, people don’t always listen to their parents, thinking that they are old and strong enough to get on without them. We think we are strong enough and firm enough to get by in life, but in truth we need guidance.
You let me know how you feel,
Throwing no punches
I never knew that kind of honesty
A lot of times, when my parents tell me something I need to know, I dismiss it, saying no, I don’t need that. Or sometimes I just get frustrated because they bring my dreams crashing down on me, and I ask why they’re so cruel. But honesty like that is important and special, and sometimes we just need to know that honesty is a precious trait and that by being honest we give a part of ourselves to the other person.
I didn’t understand that
The doors you would open
Could take me to somewhere I wanted to go
When my parents give me advice, opportunities, so often I brush them away. So often I say I don’t care. I don’t need that for my life. But I do. I want both the opportunities, and the doors they’ll open to me.
I learned from you that I do not crumble
I learn that strength is something you choose
This is an important lesson I learned from my parents as well. If I have a purpose I don’t crumble, I endure. I endure until the end. If I choose to have strength, than my strength will take me places, and my strength will show me the way.
I learned all of this from a beautiful song. I will never forget the lessons this song taught me or how it helped me undergo trials in strength. I learned that everything I do, speak, and every step I take is an inflection of how my parents taught me. I will not let them down, and I will never crumble.