STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: "I Learned from You" by Miley Cyrus reminded me of how much my parents gave to me and how I should give back.

fablehavenfairy97
I was in my ungrateful section of high school, taking advantage of everything in my life, thinking everything thing came from magic and nobody worked for anything. I was never particularly rude I guess, but I wasn’t so sweet either. I remember a family movie night, and we decided to watch “Bridge to Terebithia”. Slightly reluctant, I sat down on the couch to watch it. The song when the credits were playing started rolling and I heard some words I needed to hear, I think.
I didn’t want to listen to what you were saying,
I thought that I knew all I need to know
I just remember thinking how beautiful and utterly true those words were. In general, people don’t always listen to their parents, thinking that they are old and strong enough to get on without them. We think we are strong enough and firm enough to get by in life, but in truth we need guidance.
You let me know how you feel,
Throwing no punches
I never knew that kind of honesty
A lot of times, when my parents tell me something I need to know, I dismiss it, saying no, I don’t need that. Or sometimes I just get frustrated because they bring my dreams crashing down on me, and I ask why they’re so cruel. But honesty like that is important and special, and sometimes we just need to know that honesty is a precious trait and that by being honest we give a part of ourselves to the other person.
I didn’t understand that
The doors you would open
Could take me to somewhere I wanted to go
When my parents give me advice, opportunities, so often I brush them away. So often I say I don’t care. I don’t need that for my life. But I do. I want both the opportunities, and the doors they’ll open to me.
I learned from you that I do not crumble
I learn that strength is something you choose
This is an important lesson I learned from my parents as well. If I have a purpose I don’t crumble, I endure. I endure until the end. If I choose to have strength, than my strength will take me places, and my strength will show me the way.
I learned all of this from a beautiful song. I will never forget the lessons this song taught me or how it helped me undergo trials in strength. I learned that everything I do, speak, and every step I take is an inflection of how my parents taught me. I will not let them down, and I will never crumble.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy