My Song: "I Will Wait for You" by Connie Francis reminds me of my childhood promise.

ShaunaMarieJ
I could hear the muted voices of one of my grandmother’s old records statically sing, “The clock will tick away the hours one by one…” Rain had ticked loudly against my clouded window that night. In the darkness of my secluded room I had found solidarity. As the thunder rolled about the purple clouds and the lightening snapped fuses in the sky, no human could hear my cries; while the angels in heaven howled and shook tears of watery needles about the world with me. From my periphery I could see my stuffed suitcases sprawled across the stained hardwood when the flashes of light illuminated the room. “…and then the time will come when all the waiting’s done…”
Morning had brought with it the bittersweet memories of my once blissful world. My happiness was too ill to join me one last time in the vegetable garden. The rough, furry leaves were frosted in morning dew. Lushly red orbs were streaked in clear trails of rain water. The grass beneath my tiny brown feet was soft and mushy, and cool, muddy water squished out from between my toes. Grandma never liked for me to go outside without shoes.
Every day after my brother and I were sent to live with our father she called, and every day she sounded weaker, until one day no phone call came. Nobody needed to tell me that she was gone, because that day I’d seen the light of heaven from her stories shine down from amongst the clouds. I had run to it, but it always seemed to be the same distance away, and then, in mere seconds, it disappeared. So I sat and I waited for the light to come back so it could take me up to where she and I could be together. I waited every day, in the rain, in the snow; in the excruciating heat…I waited every day just as she had done for me. However, tendencies of the youth die in later age. Soon I had forgotten my silent promise to my grandmother—to follow her up to heaven.
Years passed, and soon we had neighbors. They were older, and would play their music loudly on their patio. One autumn night, as a cold breeze blew past my young face to stroke my dusky hair, I heard from the seniors’ yard one sad yet incandescent tune. It echoed familiarly through the vacant woods and danced about the hazy grey of the moon and the silver stars, and as it danced, it stirred up into the air the years of dust that had caked what was once only a childish dream. I sat upon the steps of the patio and again watched the sky for a curtain of white.
“If it takes forever, I will wait for you. For a thousand summers, I will wait for you. ‘Till you’re back beside me, ‘till I’m holding you, ‘till I hear you sigh here in my arms...”
Comment by yiyijessicali

Your linguistic abilities are AMAZING. I am utterly touched by this memoir--I feel for your loss. Great content. Great presentation.
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:24:06 AM
Comment by bugcandy

One of my Editors altered me to your essay. Incredibly stylistic and poetic. We made your post our feature story on the Stage of Life Facebook Wall: http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife

We hope to see more of your writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:36:05 PM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:42:21 PM
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

Beautiful, poetic story. I still have a lump in my throat.
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:58:06 AM