My Song: "One" by U2 helped me make an important choice

sbhargaw
I see constant proof of people’s cruelty and callousness everywhere. Every day, there are stories on the news of how people hurt others, out of spite or revenge. Throughout history, the strong have beaten down the weak, because of arrogance or lust for power or wealth. There is a constant cycle of brutality and hurt that surrounds us. It is oppressive, dark, and painful. The song “One” by U2 expresses the sorrow in this repetitive and seemingly unending sequence of malice and the way that we humans inflict pain on each other: our friends, family, strangers. “We hurt each other then we do it again.”
I find it hard to cope with this idea. I don’t understand what drives people to hurt others. I cannot fathom how people can be so brutal and hypocritical and still have the twisted thought that they are doing the right thing. When I hear stories of human cruelty, I sometimes truly question the human race. It is hard to overlook how much damage we have inflicted on each other and on the world. The good things we have done seem insignificant compared to the massive amount of evil that is evident in our past.
I have struggled with this for some time, and each time I thought about it, I would accept that I couldn’t change anything and I would try to move on. Suddenly, an epiphany hit me. I realized what I was missing whenever I contemplated the balance between good and evil, and I also realized that the song “One” has a deeper meaning that is much more personal.
It is still true that each day, people hurt others and people are cruel. I don’t see that changing any time soon. What I realized, however, is that I had a choice in how I dealt with that knowledge. I could reluctantly accept it and resign myself to the fact that evil is inherently present throughout the world. The other option? I could take it upon myself to actively oppose cruelty, even in a small way.
“One life, you got to do what you should.” There are people who don’t do what they should. But there are people who strive to be the best person they can be, and I realized I want to count myself among them.
It is still painful to think that cruelty happens and continues to happen. Now, though, I can choose to counteract that. In the song “One”, sorrow and pain are expressed, but the singer also insists that people must “carry each other”. I realized the hope in that statement. If people continue to show kindness to each other, a difference can slowly be made. All I have to do is focus on the potential for good in me instead of the potential for evil in others. I have control over that choice. And in making that choice, I can become active in making the world a better place.