STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: "One" by U2 helped me make an important choice

sbhargaw
I see constant proof of people’s cruelty and callousness everywhere. Every day, there are stories on the news of how people hurt others, out of spite or revenge. Throughout history, the strong have beaten down the weak, because of arrogance or lust for power or wealth. There is a constant cycle of brutality and hurt that surrounds us. It is oppressive, dark, and painful. The song “One” by U2 expresses the sorrow in this repetitive and seemingly unending sequence of malice and the way that we humans inflict pain on each other: our friends, family, strangers. “We hurt each other then we do it again.”
I find it hard to cope with this idea. I don’t understand what drives people to hurt others. I cannot fathom how people can be so brutal and hypocritical and still have the twisted thought that they are doing the right thing. When I hear stories of human cruelty, I sometimes truly question the human race. It is hard to overlook how much damage we have inflicted on each other and on the world. The good things we have done seem insignificant compared to the massive amount of evil that is evident in our past.
I have struggled with this for some time, and each time I thought about it, I would accept that I couldn’t change anything and I would try to move on. Suddenly, an epiphany hit me. I realized what I was missing whenever I contemplated the balance between good and evil, and I also realized that the song “One” has a deeper meaning that is much more personal.
It is still true that each day, people hurt others and people are cruel. I don’t see that changing any time soon. What I realized, however, is that I had a choice in how I dealt with that knowledge. I could reluctantly accept it and resign myself to the fact that evil is inherently present throughout the world. The other option? I could take it upon myself to actively oppose cruelty, even in a small way.
“One life, you got to do what you should.” There are people who don’t do what they should. But there are people who strive to be the best person they can be, and I realized I want to count myself among them.
It is still painful to think that cruelty happens and continues to happen. Now, though, I can choose to counteract that. In the song “One”, sorrow and pain are expressed, but the singer also insists that people must “carry each other”. I realized the hope in that statement. If people continue to show kindness to each other, a difference can slowly be made. All I have to do is focus on the potential for good in me instead of the potential for evil in others. I have control over that choice. And in making that choice, I can become active in making the world a better place.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy