My song: “Scar Tissue” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers reminds me that everything's okay.

klskendall
Back in 2005, while most of my classmates raved about Kelly Clarkson or Mariah Carey, I was preoccupied with my new ipod shuffle and my favorite band—the Red Hot Chili Peppers. When asked what instrument I wanted to play, I told my music teacher I wanted to play the bass—like Flea, the bassist of the Chili Peppers. The bass was intimidating, almost twice my size, but I was willing to take on the challenge. When she handed me a cello—which was a bit smaller than the bass, I was disappointed. But when I later learned that Flea also played the cello when he was my age, I was eager to learn. I practiced every day, sometimes plucking it like a guitar along to my favorite Chili Peppers song—Scar Tissue. I was an amateur for sure, but I was still ecstatic that I could create music.

Aside from learning the cello, I’d also made some new friends in sixth grade. One of them was throwing a birthday party which I attended. Most of the girls were obnoxious and loud, already forming cliques as all adolescents do. s#$%ty pop music blared from a stereo. So I opted to sit alone and isolate myself from the drama and intolerable music by plugging in my headphones. I hit shuffle, and the warm chords of Scar Tissue resounded in my ears. Although it was a personal choice to remain aloof and antisocial, I still felt lonely—like there was no one I could share my interests with. But I felt okay. I would rather go my own way than pretend I enjoyed radio pop and gossip. And for a reason unknown, when Anthony Kiedis sang “with birds I’ll share this lonely view,” I didn’t feel so alone after all.

Now it’s 2012. I’m seventeen. It’s about 4 PM and I’m driving back home with the windows open, breeze in my hair, the sunlight weaving its way through the trees. It had been a long day, driving from house to house in a frenzy trying to locate my wallet which I’d lost the night before. Scanning the radio, trashy bubble gum pop blares through the stereo which I try to avoid by landing on a static station. It sounds a whole lot better than LMFAO’s Party Rock Anthem. Through the static of mixed voices and pop songs, I hear a familiar guitar riff and change the station, hoping to find it. It’s the song Scar Tissue by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I hadn’t heard the song for a long time—maybe a year or so, but I still know every word. Suddenly, it’s as if nothing else matters, because wallets may disappear and relationships may fall apart, but John Frusciante’s guitar solo will always start at two minutes, forty-seven seconds.