My Song: If I Die Young by The Band Perry showed me my worth.

nikac
I sat in my room with the door closed, the tears blurring my vision. In this very moment, I was so unbelievably sad and depressed. Never was I good at handling stress and school was definitely stressing me out. Everything was about college, and whether or not I could make it into top schools like Harvard and Yale which I have coveted my entire life. It felt like someone was grabbing my head, and attempted to crush my skull with incredible pressure. The stress was becoming too much and I didn’t know what to do anymore. I felt like I had no friends, no joy, and no reason to go on anymore. Slowly, I grasped my iPod, and tapped the shuffle button. While closing my eyes, I settled into my bed, and listened to the music. The first song to come on was “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry. “What a fitting song…” I thought to myself. Suddenly, the slow tones of the lead singer’s voice flooded my ears as she sang,
“If I die young, bury me in satin, lay me down on a bed of roses…”
That’s exactly how I felt. The song went on to talking about the hurt the family of the girl had felt, and all of the things she would miss.
After listening to this song on repeat for what seemed like hours, I had an epiphany.
This girl in the song missed out on so much in her life like love, graduation, and seeing her family every morning. I suddenly sprang out from under the covers and realized that I could not let the stress and pain let me spiral into a depressing black hole. With the song still playing, I stood up and slowly moved towards the wall mirror. My eyes lifted onto my face, and I wiped my tears from my eyes. Staring at my ragged and sad appearance was almost like an impetus to start changing my outlook on life. No longer could I just sit in my room crying over my seemingly horrible grades and social life. Instead, I had to go out into the world and show everyone that I was a strong independent teenager that could achieve her goals. With a newly defiant look in my eyes, I grabbed my iPod and switched off the song that had awakened something new in me. I was not going to be the girl in that song anymore.