My Song: Fighter by Christina Aguilera and how it affected my past and my present

Melaine
“That girl is so weird. She’s too tall. Who does she think she is? I mean…” With the use of my headphones and music player, the words in my head are drowned out by soothing beats and comforting vocals. The best way to relax after a tough day at school or disagreement with family is to listen to a song that relates to your situation or allows you to forget about your troubles. For me, that song was Fighter by Christina Aguilera off of her album, Stripped. Fighter, with its rebellious tone and strong rock influence, not only made me wash away any worries but also motivated me to stay positive and headstrong despite discouragement.
“Makes me that much stronger, makes me work a little bit harder, it makes me that much wiser, so thanks for making me a fighter.” I first heard those lyrics when I was approximately six or seven years old. I had taken a dance class and Fighter was the song for my group’s routine. I remember loving to dance along to it but had never known the name until years later. Thinking about it now, I realize that the song had such an impact on me because it is the most memorable song from my first and only few dance lessons. I moved away from the school of dance shortly after and was never able to continue classes. Dancing had always brought me joy and whenever I hear Fighter it reminds me of the same feeling I had taking lessons. Now, subconsciously, whenever I’m feeling down, I play the song and my spirits are lifted once again. Not only does the song trigger that happy memory from my past, but the lyrics inspire me to take the negative experiences in my life and turn them into positive ones in my future.