My Song: “Mad World” by Tears for Fears, embodies my philosophy of nihilism

mhill
My Song: “Mad World” by Tears for Fears, embodies my philosophy of nihilism. Such a perspective comes from a dark place, of skepticism and hopelessness. Specifically the sentiments such as “walking in circles” within the song, resonate strongly with me. Any time I’m particularly depressed and during the times in my life when I was especially suicidal, this song helped me cope. It articulated emotions I couldn’t; not only through lyrics but through the melody. I’m still not sure how one can begin to articulate the impact music (even without lyrics) can have on a person's whole being--it’s an extraordinary phenomenon. Just think of how many people songs like “Mad World” touched personally. One song that became an integral part of thousands of individuals who don’t even know of each other. Life at many times feels unbearable and utterly pointless. However, the song also is hopeful because it suggests that other people feel the same way about life as I do. I think everyone feels bits of the emotions conveyed through the song sometimes--feeling as if one is “going nowhere”, living in a pointless monotony. One line of lyrics in particular is interesting: “I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had”. These lyrics are of particular interest to me because it suggests the writer of the music is almost amused or at peace with the hopelessness they often experience. I too have come to the conclusion that while I’m still figuring things out, and I’m often at a loss, suicide isn’t a logical or ethical answer. I was never obsessed with a particular band or artist. I dislike the cliques that form around a band or artist, the exclusivity and judgement, so I never admitted to listening to music. Yet I listen to music all the time in all genres. Sometimes a song like “Mad World” will resonate with me and I’ll listen to it a million times. I’ll invariably space out for hours, hardly conscious of my whereabouts--thinking about my relationship to the music. When I feel alone in this cold universe, I listen to “Mad World” not because it affirms the thoughts I’m having, but because it calms me and resonates. These feelings often seem inescapable, so a song like this helps reassure the listener that their inarticulable depression is articulable in some form, to some degree. Perhaps the human experience needs to be experienced in art through the arts, music in particular. Maybe without music one cannot fully comprehend humanity.