My Song: "The House that Built Me" The song that points to where I belong.

yancy1
High school: a major transition in many teen’s lives that poses some confusing, yet important, questions. Who am I? Where do I belong? What am I going to do with my life? I was caught up in all of these questions, and quite frankly, life didn’t seem so simple or easy anymore. Day after day I would struggle with keeping everything in balance and worried about all of the little things. My life seemed to slowly slip up until I couldn’t seem to handle everything. I needed answers, and I needed them quickly.
At that time the only thing that would keep me going is music. It wasn’t my family, nor my friends, teachers or even sports. I would get lost in the lyrics, and it put all of my troubles away for a while. One day I came across Miranda Lambert’s “House that Built Me.” The song really hit me hard when she sang “I thought if I could touch this place or feel it, this brokenness inside me might start healing, out here it's like I'm someone else, I thought that maybe I could find myself.”
That time in my life related exactly to the lyrics in the song. It got me thinking. Why was everything so simple back then? Was it because I was oblivious to all of the terrible things that were happening or merely because there was no pressure to figure everything out in a short period of time? Who was I anymore? What did I want to do anymore?
I began searching for answers to these questions. I thought about the house that I grew up in. It really did build me and shaped who I am. I just had to remember what it taught me. The memories swiftly began to flow back. My house made me a tough as nails little girl who could pull herself through anything. My house made me intelligent. My house made me outgoing and humorous. My house taught me I can be anything that I want to be if I set my mind to it. My house brought back all of the memories of who I really was and what I was raised up to be. Suddenly, I knew the answers to all of the questions I had been struggling to answer.
I was a strong young woman. I belonged with all of my friends that had always been there for me. And I can be a lawyer because if I work hard I can accomplish anything.
This song pulled me through a difficult and confusing time for me. Whenever I feel lost or don’t know who I am anymore, I listen to this song and it always shows me where I belong. I am forever grateful for music. Music is the remedy that cures all sorrows and troubles and will forever friend to me.

Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:40:51 PM