STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: ''Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park illustrates how quick we are to mute pain and hide it from the world when instead

jgrossbard
Wind slashes through my thin coat, the threadbare letters carved out, lined in black dashes. Another loose thread hangs from its resting place, pulled none too gently by the whip of the wind. This is my punishment. No one comes here. The corner of the building; far enough away to hide, and angled just enough so the vultures can circle. Warmth emanates from the building. You can’t go there. You don’t belong there. It’s not for you, my mind echoes in almost a chorus. In my hand rests a thick shard of glass broken off a bottle. “It’s a secret. It’ll be my secret,” I speak sweetly to myself. And if I hadn’t known better I’d almost be inclined to listen. “Clutching my cure, I tightly lock the door; I try to catch my breath again.” The bathroom door slams shut with a taunting thwack. Things here are always teasing me. The sinks lips lie smothered under wet sheets, an impressive feat considering the lack of visitors. Asphyxiation, the mirror would gossip to anyone willing to listen. I clutch at the triangular piece, its edges pressing lightly into my palm, as the mirror strains her ears for the faintest. ”I hurt much more, than anytime before; I have no options left again.” The piece glimmers in my palm, as the devil in my head whispers sweet promises in tongues, each one coated in a bit more desperation than the last as the innocence within me leans into its touch. I do not give her the satisfaction. I do not give anyone the satisfaction they yearn for. Clasping the shard between my fingers I carve into the letters on the ground of my corner. The letters grasping for your attention, your affection. I carry them with me everyday, and everyday I write for you another. And for a moment I am safe, nestled deeply in the sanctuary of your invisible arms, and as the wind strikes me, I feel nothing. I see you after school. I hide in plain sight from you, rubbing a delicate finger over the pronounced edges of the triangular piece. If I see you I’ll give it to you, I promise myself. You repeat my name and I jolt out of my skin. Eyeing the bin at the right I slip the little piece in with the rest. I ask to hold you and you accept. Tears I don’t recall crying become lost in the paneling of your jacket. I wonder briefly if it hurts you to do this. Your voice is riddled with concern, and for a moment it’s almost as if you care for me. I grasp at the soft paneled fabric and look up at you clearly through tear ridden eyes. You don’t make me tell you, you don’t force the answer out, you stand there as I hold onto you tightly; because we both know the moment I let go, you’ll become untouchable and come tomorrow I’ll hold your invisible hands once more.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy