My Song: "What Makes You Beautiful": the song I should NOT have danced to!

katie_selena
I am the most uncoordinated person you are ever likely to come across. No exaggeration. If there is a wet surface; I will slip. If there is a step; I will trip. I even manage to trip on flat surfaces which in my mind takes absolute skill!
All this may lead people to question my choice of employment for a summer job; McDonalds. Carrying a tray which requires balance and precision… a disaster waiting to happen!
Yet I conducted myself well and managed to take peoples orders without too much confusion; yet I suppose that could be considered the easy part.
Now, with my ungainly ways in my day to day footwork brings a shocking lack of rhythm when I am on the dance floor. This is why I avoid dancing AT ALL COSTS!

One day during summer; the sun was beating down from a crystal blue sky. Everybody felt relaxed and content. I was working my shift in McDonalds, hoping for an uncomplicated day so I could escape home for a spot of sunbathing, but just as this glorious thought entered my head, the door opened and in walked a group of young boys from the year above me in school. They were tanned, they were cool…and they included my five year long crush Daniel.
I immediately, yet subtly, fixed my hair, repositioned my hat and rubbed under my eyes to ensue no eyeliner had stealthily crept down my face.
I beamed a dazzling smile as they approached the counter and they grinned back. I took their order and they went to claim a table in the hectic sea of people.
I quickly prepared their orders and, taking a deep, sobering breath, made my way over to their table carrying their tray which was weighed under by the weight of all their food.
As I was advancing towards their table One Directions, ‘What Makes you Beautiful’ began to blare through the speakers. In my mind, I imagined myself seductively swinging my hips in time to the music, but for reasons previously stated, I would never have usually thought of executing this.
However, the sun was shining and I was relaxed; not a good combination for future reference!
I began to swing my hips and even added in a few of my own well choreographed footsteps. The boys were all watching me, but just as I reached their table and attempted a particularly extravagant move, I slipped on something wet and my feet went out from under me. The tray ended up on Daniel and as I looked up at him, I noticed a steady stream of strawberry milkshake running from his head, down his nose and creating a pink puddle in his lap.
Safe to say, I looked extremely ungainly running to get napkins for him; the rest of the boys doubled up with laughter as, ‘What Makes you Beautiful’ continued to blare through the speakers.
Comment by SavannahtheHuman

Wow! What a story! I can totally feel your pain -- it should be a federal offense for me to break out dancing in public, and my nickname growing up was "klutz." But hey, these are the kinds of things that make great stories to tell your kids someday. Thanks for sharing, and maybe, just maybe, Daniel will forgive you someday :))
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:38:00 PM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:23:05 PM