My Song: Banana Pancakes Brings Back my Childhood

rosiesposies123
The song starts off with the strumming of a guitar playing a bumpy melody. The guitar quickly merges with the soulful, smooth voice of Jack Johnson. Eight seconds into the song and I’m already hooked. This kind of music takes you away from anywhere and everywhere, clearing your mind and ridding you of the things that bring you down. It’s rare to find a song that isn’t easily defined by one word, but if I had to, the perfect way to describe it is “The-Kind-Of-Song-That-Makes-You-Happy”. The lyrics are simple and sweet, and hold more meaning than complicated words and phrases whose goal is just to rhyme. Jack croons, “Can’t you see that it’s just raining? Ain’t no need to go outside…” These two sentences of the song instantly bring me back to my childhood, way before I went to school. Time seemed different then, like there was more of it, especially on cold and rainy days. Usually I would jump, splash, and explore the mud in my tiny rainbow raincoat but it would never take long for me to get bored. I would release the things I caught, like snails and worms, back into the wilderness of the park and clomp home clumsily in my rain boots. After drying off my damp pigtails, I would change into my favorite flannel pajamas (the ones with the trains on them of course because I was definitely NOT a girl) and I would jump onto the couch, Clifford the Big Red Dog on mute so I could hear the pitter-patter of the rain on the roof. My mom would bring me lunch, and I would it eat under the dining room table, cuddling with my favorite blanket. My childhood was wonderful, filled with family, friends, and sibling fights with my older brother, but the times I think I enjoyed the most were the quiet ones. The kinds of days I had when it was drizzling outside, when I could just think about the world, wonder how big the universe is, and ponder where I would go if I could fly. The kind of days when things were simple, when I was too young to have regrets. Jack Johnson’s song “Banana Pancakes” brings me back to these times with the strum of a guitar, and lyrics that reach back and remind me of what is good in life.