My Song: Perfecting Fur Elise by Ludwig Van Beethoven

rosiesposies123
When I first moved to my hometown, my mom immediately signed me up for piano lessons. I was five years old, and I was excited. My teacher’s name was Wendy, and she was twenty-something and a college student living with her parents. I would have lessons every weekend at her house and whenever I finished learning a song, she would give me presents of stickers and pencils. Looking back, that’s probably why I liked her so much. At first I only learned easy songs, but then, after I had perfected my hand positions and successfully mastered “Tarantella”, Wendy deemed me ready for harder material. The day I received the sheet music for “Fur Elise” was the biggest day in the whole ten years of my life! The first nine notes soon became what played through my head all day and all night. I would practice, get frustrated, stop practicing, then practice again. It was the hardest work I had ever put into anything that wasn’t school-related. Week after week at my lesson, Wendy and I went over a new section of the song and I practiced like a maniac every spare minute I had. I wasn’t playing just so I could get that sparkly pencil I had my eye on anymore, I was playing for the pure joy of it. I played the song over and over, and soon, repetition was my best friend. I eventually added the pedal, even though I was still too short and had to stretch my leg to fully compress it down, causing me to sit lopsided. I often wonder what I looked like to my parents or my brother. Whenever I think about it, the image of a chubby little seven-year-old girl with pigtails sitting lopsided pounding on piano keys while going on tippy-toes to reach the pedal pops into my mind. I must have looked crazy, but despite everything, I enjoyed it and gave it my all. Picking out my dress for my piano recital didn’t even make me as giddy as just the thought of playing this strange song I couldn’t even pronounce in front of a crowd of people. But on recital day, the moment I touched the keys and produced the first nine notes in Beethoven’s famous song, I knew that I would remember that moment forever. Even after I grew up, and our old piano was traded in for a Yamaha keyboard, the sheet music for “Fur Elise” that I received when I was ten years old still remains on the music rack, a shiny Spongebob sticker stuck crookedly at the top.
Music was such an important part of my childhood, and now, with the memories that come rushing back with that music, it’s easier to remember who I once was. It’s hard to see the invisible strands connecting memories to music, but once you acknowledge it, whether it be listening to a song again or even playing a song again, there’s no way for you to go back.