My Song: "Skyscraper" by Demi Lovato helped me discover my inner strength

rosiebaek
This past spring was arguably the hardest period of my life as I prepared for my upcoming second semester finals, Advanced Placement exams, and SAT II tests. Running on approximately four hours of sleep each night, I attempted to juggle my roles in the classroom and home. As one can expect, these extreme conditions exhausted me both physically and emotionally. Surprisingly, however, my efforts that I put into school and family didn’t seem to appease my parents’ expectations of me. Despite the pressure that I was already applying to myself, my parents were constantly comparing me (from my study habits to my role as a daughter) to my friends. My failure to meet the high expectations of both roles made me see myself as a worthless human being. My smiles had lost their sincerity, my eyes were shadowed with defeat, and my voice deflated into a fatigued monotone.
One afternoon, I came across Demi Lovato’s song, “Skyscraper”, while I was on the internet. I decided to watch the music video to wind down from yet another draining day at school, and slumped into my chair while the song started. As Demi’s raw, vulnerable voice sang “do you have to make me feel like there’s nothing left of me?” my mind immediately flashed to the despair that I felt when my parents began comparing me to my friends. “You’re so lazy! No matter how hard you try, you’re never going to get that A. What a screw up.” echoed inside my head, and my heart panged as it revisited the hurt that I kept bottled up. When the chorus came, Demi belted “go on and try to tear me down, I will be rising from the ground like a skyscraper.” Upon hearing these powerful words, my arms pricked with goose bumps and my eyes welled with tears. I realized that my insecurities about my self-worth really were “tearing me down”. It was as if the song’s sunny rays of self-acceptance had penetrated the cold ice that had formed in my heart. All of my negative thoughts that I had accumulated over my rough time unleashed themselves in the form of thick, heavy tears. By the end of “Skyscraper”, I realized that regardless of how many failings I may have, I am strong enough to rise above the negativity. Now, exam season is over, but this song’s beautiful voice and compelling lyrics continue to remind me of how strong I really am.
Comment by yiyijessicali

this is very relevant to a lot of readers! Keeping faith in times like this (when we only get four hour sleeps) is one important step to success! :)
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:29:19 AM
Comment by rosiebaek

Thanks for taking the time to read my story!
I'm so glad that you could relate to it too (:

Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 7:52:06 AM