My Song: “Sway” Helped Me Remember the Love Instead of the Distance

madeline110
When I was a freshman in high school, I met the love of my life. For two years we were best friends and I never got up the courage to tell him because I assured myself that he would never love me the way I loved him. Little did I know that all the while he had been just as in love with me as I had been with him. On Valentine’s Day of our sophomore year he asked me out with red roses, homemade brownies that he made from scratch, and this huge elaborate plan that involved our science teacher, a PowerPoint, and quite a bit of thought.

He told me that there was something very important he needed to ask me in science class that day and when I arrived to find him nowhere to be seen, I started to worry that he wasn’t coming at all. Class started and our eccentric biology teacher put up the PowerPoint she had spent hours the night before of pictures making of adorable animals for Valentine’s Day. As the PowerPoint came to a close, a red and pink slide appeared on the screen, empty aside from the white bold letters that spelled my whole name across the top. When the slide transitioned, the words “Will you be my girlfriend?” appeared along with his full name laid out across the bottom. I was shocked and a little confused as to what was going on when he walked in the door, across the classroom, and to my seat where I was now standing. “So will you?” he asked. All I could do was nod throw my arms around him as I said “yes” over and over.

He truly is my best friend in the entire world and the one and only man who holds my heart now, forever, and always. I don’t know what I would do without him in my life, because he is the one that gives my life meaning and purpose. But about a month ago, our relationship was thrown a curveball: I had to move half way across the country. The half mile that used to separate us morphed into 1,112 and having to be that far away from him is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. We get to see one another about once every three months if we are lucky. If we aren’t lucky, then those three months turn into six. I miss him every single day and to help me not feel as sad, I put on our song: “Sway” by Dean Martin. The lyrics “Other dancers may be on the floor/ Dear, but my eyes will see only you” speak to me most because when I am with him, it is almost like it's just us, and nothing else in the world matters. Our song reminds me that no matter how far apart we are, we will always have each other and we will always find a way back to one another.
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:47:18 PM