STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: Secrects by One Republic reminds my of my lifestyle

JustAlice
The song Secrets by One Republic, it turns out is about the performer, Ryan Teddy, and how he's waiting for something exciting to his life. But I guess that's where I come in. We both are stuck in the same motions of life. From school to home. From home to school. Same thing all the time. The color red is said to mean passion, or strong emotion. I'd like the color red in my life for sure. The only emotion is regret and anger. Regret that I haven't done anything yet- when there are so many people who have done something with their life already. All I've done is muse about leaving home to start somewhere new, and I haven't accomplished that yet. All these instincts are telling me to yell at everyone, "Hey I want to do something exciting with my life besides plan for med school and live in the same place for the next 8 years!" The anger is I guess towards everyone else. Members of my family are set on my future and don’t give one about what I want to do. “As long as when the economy is bad you’ll have money and a job”, yes mother sure thing, but there comes 8 painfully long years of college. Money? I’ll probably then spend the rest of my life paying off colleges and loans. I’m also angry at society. Well isn’t everyone? News about how people are achieving so much, and how they make it sound so easy. Well society is also saying that we can’t go out into the world on our own until 18. Yet almost everyone is set to live at home until 20 at least. For once, it’d be nice for things to happen to well… your average “plain Jane”! So many authors portray it in stories. I don’t mean move and find a boyfriend who sparkles. No way. I mean how the heroine saves the day, and her name goes on. “My God. Amazing how we got this far. Amazing that we got this far. It's like we're chasing all those stars. Who's driving shiny big black cars.” Teddy’s got it right. Society is so hyped up about the cars you drive and the money you have, that they don’t give others a chance. For the past 5 years each New Years and birthday, I’ve wished for the same thing, ”A chance to have something exciting to me”. So far nothing’s happened! Like Teddy says, “Just don’t let me disappear”. If I told everyone what I felt, would they make me disappear? There isn’t much for a 13 year old to do these days, except fan girl over boy bands and rebel against parents. Personally, I’d rather go make something of myself…if I could just tell what I feel and get the first plane ticket to somewhere with someone who’d like what I have. I’m tired of the same old thing. I guess “I’m gonna give all my secrets away”.
Rate this:
Comment by possibilityforsimplicity

I felt so much like that when I was 13...this is a very relatable post. I'm 21 now & I assure you, it does get better. Hang in there. In high school it really is hard to make your own decisions as you have very little control over what you do in life. However, when you graduate, the world is yours. This takes on a different shape for everyone, but you do not HAVE to do the normal thing. There are alternatives. Maybe take a year off before your 8 years! Maybe travel with school, or do something you never have before like try out for your school's play. That being said, there are things you can be doing right now, in the midst of your mundane routine, to live life to the fullest. You just have to get out there.
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:17:40 PM
Rate this:
Comment by yiyijessicali

Great presentation! good of you to incorporate the lyrics!
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:37:44 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy