My Song: Secrects by One Republic reminds my of my lifestyle

JustAlice
The song Secrets by One Republic, it turns out is about the performer, Ryan Teddy, and how he's waiting for something exciting to his life. But I guess that's where I come in. We both are stuck in the same motions of life. From school to home. From home to school. Same thing all the time. The color red is said to mean passion, or strong emotion. I'd like the color red in my life for sure. The only emotion is regret and anger. Regret that I haven't done anything yet- when there are so many people who have done something with their life already. All I've done is muse about leaving home to start somewhere new, and I haven't accomplished that yet. All these instincts are telling me to yell at everyone, "Hey I want to do something exciting with my life besides plan for med school and live in the same place for the next 8 years!" The anger is I guess towards everyone else. Members of my family are set on my future and don’t give one about what I want to do. “As long as when the economy is bad you’ll have money and a job”, yes mother sure thing, but there comes 8 painfully long years of college. Money? I’ll probably then spend the rest of my life paying off colleges and loans. I’m also angry at society. Well isn’t everyone? News about how people are achieving so much, and how they make it sound so easy. Well society is also saying that we can’t go out into the world on our own until 18. Yet almost everyone is set to live at home until 20 at least. For once, it’d be nice for things to happen to well… your average “plain Jane”! So many authors portray it in stories. I don’t mean move and find a boyfriend who sparkles. No way. I mean how the heroine saves the day, and her name goes on. “My God. Amazing how we got this far. Amazing that we got this far. It's like we're chasing all those stars. Who's driving shiny big black cars.” Teddy’s got it right. Society is so hyped up about the cars you drive and the money you have, that they don’t give others a chance. For the past 5 years each New Years and birthday, I’ve wished for the same thing, ”A chance to have something exciting to me”. So far nothing’s happened! Like Teddy says, “Just don’t let me disappear”. If I told everyone what I felt, would they make me disappear? There isn’t much for a 13 year old to do these days, except fan girl over boy bands and rebel against parents. Personally, I’d rather go make something of myself…if I could just tell what I feel and get the first plane ticket to somewhere with someone who’d like what I have. I’m tired of the same old thing. I guess “I’m gonna give all my secrets away”.
Comment by possibilityforsimplicity

I felt so much like that when I was 13...this is a very relatable post. I'm 21 now & I assure you, it does get better. Hang in there. In high school it really is hard to make your own decisions as you have very little control over what you do in life. However, when you graduate, the world is yours. This takes on a different shape for everyone, but you do not HAVE to do the normal thing. There are alternatives. Maybe take a year off before your 8 years! Maybe travel with school, or do something you never have before like try out for your school's play. That being said, there are things you can be doing right now, in the midst of your mundane routine, to live life to the fullest. You just have to get out there.
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:17:40 PM
Comment by yiyijessicali

Great presentation! good of you to incorporate the lyrics!
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:37:44 AM