My Song: More Time by Needtobreathe gave me strength to wait on love

possibilityforsimplicity
The song More Time by Needtobreathe from their album The Heat takes me back to the 6 month period of time when I waited on the possibility of love. I was in my senior year of high school and a part of my youth group’s leadership team. As the group members grew in camaraderie, I became acquainted with Solomon, who was both handsome and inspiring. Our conversations were easy and natural, and I soon found myself undeniably attracted to him.

Finally, one night he called. When I saw his number I thought, this is it—either he likes me and wants me to know, or he feels the need to discourage me. But what he said instead surprised me entirely. With a shaky voice, he told me he did like me, and that he would love more than anything to take me out to coffee...but. As I was still a youth in high school (a student leader), he could not date me lest he violate a youth group rule because he was older and out of high school. Regardless, he felt like the timing was not appropriate for him. [“But I need more time.../I hoped that you could understand/This is not what I had planned."]

I was too stunned to reply. After a couple days, I regained composure and called him, saying that though he hadn’t asked me to, I would wait for him if he wanted to. He was immediately receptive. It was decided. The potential of us together was worth waiting for. ["Please don’t worry now/It will turn around/Cause I need more time/Just a few more months and we’ll be fine"]. That was the end of October, and we had 6 months until I graduated and we could date, 6 months of no contact except for at church and youth group.

It was unbelievably hard, at times near impossible. But we were dedicated to waiting. In the middle of that time I went to a Needtobreathe concert, and when they played “More Time” I felt like it was for us. Solomon had given me the assurance that I needed to make it through, and we were in it together. The promise of what was ahead moved us on. [“Yeah the road gets harder/But it’s not much farther/You know it ain’t easy/But please believe me/It’s gonna be alright.”]

Nearly 3 years later from the beginning of that waiting period, Solomon and I have plans for marriage. ["We're off to new lands/So hold onto my hands."] Those 6 months taught us that our relationship is worth fighting for and allowed us to grow individually before we grew together. Though it is not what we would have planned or what we would have thought we wanted, it has turned out for the best. We value the time we have together now, knowing it is precious and not to be taken for granted. All we needed was a little more time.