STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: More Time by Needtobreathe gave me strength to wait on love

possibilityforsimplicity
The song More Time by Needtobreathe from their album The Heat takes me back to the 6 month period of time when I waited on the possibility of love. I was in my senior year of high school and a part of my youth group’s leadership team. As the group members grew in camaraderie, I became acquainted with Solomon, who was both handsome and inspiring. Our conversations were easy and natural, and I soon found myself undeniably attracted to him.

Finally, one night he called. When I saw his number I thought, this is it—either he likes me and wants me to know, or he feels the need to discourage me. But what he said instead surprised me entirely. With a shaky voice, he told me he did like me, and that he would love more than anything to take me out to coffee...but. As I was still a youth in high school (a student leader), he could not date me lest he violate a youth group rule because he was older and out of high school. Regardless, he felt like the timing was not appropriate for him. [“But I need more time.../I hoped that you could understand/This is not what I had planned."]

I was too stunned to reply. After a couple days, I regained composure and called him, saying that though he hadn’t asked me to, I would wait for him if he wanted to. He was immediately receptive. It was decided. The potential of us together was worth waiting for. ["Please don’t worry now/It will turn around/Cause I need more time/Just a few more months and we’ll be fine"]. That was the end of October, and we had 6 months until I graduated and we could date, 6 months of no contact except for at church and youth group.

It was unbelievably hard, at times near impossible. But we were dedicated to waiting. In the middle of that time I went to a Needtobreathe concert, and when they played “More Time” I felt like it was for us. Solomon had given me the assurance that I needed to make it through, and we were in it together. The promise of what was ahead moved us on. [“Yeah the road gets harder/But it’s not much farther/You know it ain’t easy/But please believe me/It’s gonna be alright.”]

Nearly 3 years later from the beginning of that waiting period, Solomon and I have plans for marriage. ["We're off to new lands/So hold onto my hands."] Those 6 months taught us that our relationship is worth fighting for and allowed us to grow individually before we grew together. Though it is not what we would have planned or what we would have thought we wanted, it has turned out for the best. We value the time we have together now, knowing it is precious and not to be taken for granted. All we needed was a little more time.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy