My Song: "Don't Cha" helped mend a broken heart

lookingforanswers
Two months ago, my best friend and I were picking out some dessert cookbooks at the library. While perusing books by Martha Stewart, we spotted my best friend’s boyfriend getting a little too comfortable with another girl. I stared at the fire flash behind my best friend’s eyes as she stomped up behind him, tapped his shoulder, and slapped him. I do not know who looked more shocked: my best friend, my best friend’s boyfriend, or the girl he was with. When she walked back to me, she pulled me up from the couch I was hiding behind, and we left the library without a single cookbook in hand. While walking back to the car, I started to say something like, “What a tool! And you handled that with such dignity. God, did you see the look on her face?! Priceless.” She never said a word and walked to the car with a solemn expression on her face. We drove home in enough silence to hear a pin drop. I wondered if she had become permanently callous from shock.

But she was not silent when we arrived at her house. She picked up a pillow from her couch and chucked it at a bookshelf. Then kicked the carpet, tripped onto the floor, and started bawling. I tried to comfort her while she spoke in between a combination of sobs and sniffles. Her makeup was a droopy mess on her face. After 15 minutes of continuous crying, I tried a different approach to the problem on my hands. I ran upstairs to grab something from her bedroom. When I arrived downstairs, she was almost curled up in a fetal position. On the wall across from her, I blocked her view as I taped up a picture of her former boyfriend. She blew up. Before she cried a gallon of tears, I shuffled through a few songs on her stereo and picked the perfect one, “Don’t Cha” by Pussycat Dolls. When the chorus came on, I screamed, “Don’t cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me, Don’t cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me, Don’t cha, don’t cha,” while jabbing his picture on the wall and doing all sorts of ridiculous dance moves. For a while she just stared at me in disbelief, until I grabbed her, and we started tangoing together. At the end, we were a hot mess of smeared mascara, disheveled hair, and laughter. The boyfriend’s picture on the wall was a big blob of black, courtesy of an extra large Sharpie nearby.

Yes, the Pussycat Dolls do get a bad rep for showing slightly too much skin and for having slightly too suggestive lyrics, but at that moment, we hardly cared. “Don’t Cha” is honestly a ridiculous song, but combined with my ridiculous dance moves and singing, it was impossible to not cheer up and laugh. Laughter is always the best medicine for a broken heart.
Comment by SavannahtheHuman

Wow! What a great story! Having lived at girls' school for a few years, I've done similarly ridiculous things to make a friend feel better. But hey, that's what best friends are for right? Thanks for sharing :))
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:10:46 PM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:37:00 PM