My Song: Crying For Me by Toby Keith helped me get through losing two great people.

bgj2827

In January and February of 2010, I lost a father figure and a grandmother. My best friend’s dad, Troy, had always been a part of the family. He passed away in January. My grandmother had some problems with addiction, but she was a great person. Both of their deaths were unexpected. It took a huge toll on my family. I saw my dad cry for the first time. That was probably the worst of it. I lost two important people, but seeing my father cry was heartbreaking. He never cried. When I saw him cry I immediately started bawling.
When all of this happened, music was my escape. I have loved music my whole life and I used it in my time of need. I don’t listen to a lot of country, but the song Crying For Me was exactly how I felt. I was on the phone with a friend, Dustin, I had made at summer camp the year before. He is an amazing singer and I always had him sing and play his guitar for me over the phone. He played me this song. He didn’t have a clue what I was going through and he unknowingly played the song that would help me get through the hardest time in my life. Some of the lyrics are:
“I’m gonna miss that smile
I’m gonna miss you my friend
Even though it hurts the way it ended up
I’d do it all again
So play it sweet in Heaven
Cause that’s right where you wanna be
I’m not cryin’ cause I feel so sorry for you
I’m cryin’ for me”
Those words were exactly how I felt. I missed both of them with all of my heart and even though that heart ache was horrible, I wouldn’t trade the time I had with them for anything. I knew they were both in a better place, so I wasn’t sad that they had gone to that place. I was sad because I didn’t have them anymore. To hear this and know that someone else knew how that felt was like finding hope in my darkest time. All of my music helped me. This song stood out because it made me know that if someone else had been through this, then I knew I could get over it. I have come a long way since 2010. I have learned to always appreciate the small things and not to let whatever life throws at me to bring me down. Troy and my grandmother both wanted me to be happy so I try my best to be happy. Even though I still have problems, I know I can get through them because I got through that horrible year. And it all started with the song that I heard by chance from Dustin.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Very beautiful. I'm sorry what you went through in 2010. Be strong.
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:27:54 AM
Comment by bgj2827

Thank you so much. That really means a lot to me.
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:27:26 AM