STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” by Bob Marley gave me the strength to overcome life's struggles

jpeschard
It happened last year – my sophomore year in high school. My parents had gone through my Facebook messages, and they’d “accidentally” found the message in which I’d come out to one of my closest friends. They’d discovered my most closely-guarded secret; they knew I was gay. Though I’d worked, though I’d tried, though I’d done everything in my power to keep it a secret, they'd still found out. They confronted me and told me that homosexuality is a perversion of nature, and I needed to shut it out of my life. They said that the devil was tempting me into sin. They don’t understand. They can’t understand.
I was in a state of despair; my life made no sense. I was circling around in a vortex of confusion and nothing I did was able stop it. Then I heard Bob Marley. I was sitting in my friend’s car, crying and stressing and longing for deliverance. My parents didn’t love me; they’d told me that something was wrong with me. My heart had been beaten to a pulp, and my soul was like a pile of shattered glass. My friend was trying to comfort me, but I was inconsolable. I wanted to drown out the world, so I turned on the radio, and I heard him. Bob Marley’s calming, carefree voice washed over me like the smooth ocean tide. I was entranced. I was elated. I can still remember it; he was talking to me.
“Don’t worry, be happy.
Don't worry, don't worry, don't do it.
Be happy, put a smile on your face.”
I’ll never forget the impact that those words had on me. The joy and passion and love in those lyrics moved me. Bob Marley saved me that night. During those few moments, he taught me that I should free myself from my worries and find the joy in life. I finally began to realize that the past is unchangeable. I could allow my parents to destroy who I was, or I could stop worrying, start being happy, and begin living in a way that was true to me. The choice was easy. I would be myself.
Now, that song wasn’t able to cure my family’s intolerance or suddenly fix all of my problems, but it helped. It was light, and my life had been darkness. It was order, and my life had been chaos. It was beauty, and my life had been ugly. It changed me. I was fragile and pathetic before my parents found out I was gay, and now, I am strong. I’ve discovered a love for my family, and I do my best to respect their beliefs. I do as they ask, but I am my own person. This song helped me find this balance, and it still helps me; whenever I get depressed or lonely, I sing softly to myself, “Don’t worry, be happy,” and I know everything’s going to be alright.
Rate this:
Comment by yiyijessicali

this is one of the most powerful writing pieces I've read. I love your portrayal of the emotions that you were going through, the syntax really serves to intensity your experience. You cleverly played off a lot of VERY good literary techniques, which makes this highly captivating. We should all be proud of who we are and cherish our identities. Best of luck to you!
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:26:21 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:37:31 PM
Rate this:
Comment by etiquetteguy

Your bravery is commendable. Living with intolerance is painful, exhausting, and unnecessary. Thanks for shining a light for others to a way into a more civil, accepting and respectful world.
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:34:59 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy