My Song: "The Climb" In Memory of Morgan Mysza

afenner
I remember waiting in the long line in the wide concrete hallway of the church. I looked at the bulletin boards covered in pictures from her childhood, shuffling a few feet forward every couple minutes. I looked at a picture of her with her family on vacation a couple years ago, everyone smiling not knowing that when Morgan was only 14, she would die of cancer. I could feel the tears slide down my face and onto my thick winter jacket. After what seemed like a lifetime, we entered the sanctuary and that’s when I saw her. Lying in the dark wooden coffin lay Morgan Mysza, as white as the lining of her coffin; she lay peacefully as if she were asleep. I looked at the ground not wanting people to see me cry, when the song The Climb came on by Miley Cryus. The song said, “There’s always gonna be another mountain, I’m always gonna wanna make it move… ain’t about how fast I get there… it’s the climb.” She said that you’re always going to have obstacles and mountains in your life, but life is about the journey through them. It doesn’t matter about what lies on the other side or how quickly you get there but you need to stay strong and keep pushing on. I finally made my way up to the family who stood to the left of the coffin struggling to keep it together and paid my condolences. I looked at Morgan and although I did not know her personally, I knew about what a strong and loving person she was.
Today, I can’t listen to The Climb without crying and thinking about Morgan; the song stuck with me and will continue to for the rest of my life. At a funeral I attended when I was little, the pastor said, “God’s heart breaks when your heart breaks, he cannot control death.” Although Morgan was put on this earth for only 14 short years, she left a larger impact on the community than I could’ve ever imagined. When I’m having a hard time with something or am upset, I put on The Climb and I think of Morgan and how she lived her life to the fullest till the very end and knew that life was about the climb, not what lies on the other side.