Person to Watch in 2012: Novak Djokovic

conniekdb
Every tennis player dreams of winning all four Grand Slams, the four most highly acclaimed tennis tournaments in the world, and Novak Djokovic is no different.
After a grueling match between the world’s top two tennis players, the audience in Center Court erupts with applause as Serbian tennis player, Novak Djokovic, kisses his Wimbledon championship trophy. However, a noticeable uproar is absent from the 15,000 people who attended. Djokovic smiles as he defeats rival and fan favorite, Rafael Nadal, the top tennis player at the time and the defending champion of Wimbledon in what he describes as the best day of his life. Not only did he win one of the most prestigious Grand Slams in the realm of tennis, but he also surpassed Rafael Nadal to snatch the highly coveted No.1 spot in the tennis rankings from him.
This award complements his first Grand Slam trophy of the year, the Australian Open. An additional trophy from his victory at the US Open, his third Grand Slam, would later accompany the existing pair of trophies won in the year of 2011. It is without a doubt that Novak Djokovic dominated the sport of men’s tennis last year. Along with gaining the top ranking, he also accumulated the most prize money and the highest winning record, losing only six out of seventy-six matches.
His presence on the court is just as impressive as it is off the court. Novak Djokovic had earned the nickname “Djoker” for his humorous impersonations of his fellow tennis players, like Rafael Nadal. He is very charismatic, conveyed through his American television appearances including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and NBC’s Today and never fails to make the audience laugh.
His skill and love for the game of tennis has inspired people globally. I, myself, have been touched by his dedication and passion. As a girl who hung up her tennis equipment four years ago, I have been inspired by Djokovic to grip the tennis racket once again and play the game that I had lost the desire to continue.
Novak continues his reign of supremacy in the new year by winning the Australian Open for a third time, coincidentally against Rafael Nadal, in a physically demanding six hour match that left him struggling to stand up straight while the closing words were spoken.
One may wonder what lies ahead for Novak Djokovic. Well, even though he has won five Grand Slam trophies in the past 4 years, there remains one Grand Slam, which he has yet to conquer. This tournament is the second Grand Slam of the year called Roland Garros. If Novak were to win Roland Garros, he would become one of the select few to have captured all four titles. However, this will not be an easy feat since this is where Rafael Nadal is at optimum performance, evidenced by his six trophies. Nevertheless, with his increasing momentum, Novak could possibly accomplish this goal and revolutionize the future of tennis.
Comment by Suzanne

I am a huge fan of both Djokovic and Nadal, so I always have a tough time when they play each other. I have to say that this year though, I must support Djokovic - I think he might be the one to go all the way. Glad you decided not to give up tennis. It is a great sport. I have played for over 30 years and still love the game. As for your other passion - writing. Stay with it. Loved your recap of Djoker's career.
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 11:18:55 PM