Person to Watch in 2012: The Girl in the Mirror

21stcentury_girl
Staring into the mirror, I can only imagine what the future holds for her. It seems like it was only yesterday when she was young and carefree. Now, stress tugs at her every side and nothing can ever seem to be done on time. There’s only grey clouds and darkness filling her with confusion and fears of the unknown, so she locks herself into her own private world. Sometimes she wishes to view her future, yet she knows it is only the present that will lead her there. A milestone of 16 years has passed, and we’ve been through much together. We’ve shared laughs, tears, and anger, too. No one knows me the way she does. She is my best friend, and we both know that 2012 marks the time for a change. She has much more to learn and much more to discover.
She will grow in many ways. She will overcome fears and anxiety. She will be confident and spontaneous. She will be optimistic and her glass will always remain half full in her eyes. She will dance like no one is watching. She will take the initiative for improvement. She will make life-changing decisions. She will define herself and her morals. She will live life with the motive of never having regrets. She will devote herself to what matters most – God, art, and love. She will climb mountains higher than ever before. It’s true that she may trip and fall from time to time. Storms and barriers will try to block her way, but she knows when storms pass only rainbows are left behind. She will pick up the pieces when she falls. She will learn from her mistakes – after making them a few more times. She will be daring and take chances. She will speak up for herself and stand up for what she believes in. She will not follow the crowd, but she will define her own path. She will change the lives of those around her for the better. She will be accepting of others and their differences, but most importantly: she will survive.
As I sit back I realize the storm outside no longer looks as bad as before. I will leave everything else behind because I don’t want to be weighed down. I’m no longer afraid, but eager to greet the emerging sun that awaits me. I will leave everything else behind, because I don’t want any part of the past – regrets and mistakes and hardships – to weigh me down now. I’ll take one thing only – a pair of sunglasses. It looks like I’m going to need them, because the future forecast reads bright and sunny with a 100% chance of potential.