Person to Watch in 2012: Angela Zhang and Her Cure for Cancer

jennyraman
As broadcasted by ABC News, Angela Zhang has created a “Swiss army knife” with the potential of eradicating cancer stem cells. In 2011, Angela Zhang was awarded top individual honors at the Siemens Foundation’s Annual High School Science Competition hosted at Washington D.C. This seventeen year-old attends Monta Vista High School and aspires to apply her research to help patients roughly 25 years from now. She composed an iron oxide and gold-based nanoparticle that is capable of killing cancer stem cells when properly injected unto the tumor site.
Zhang was motivated by her great grandfather who had liver cancer and her grandfather who passed away from lung cancer. Zhang’s research and proposition are a vital component towards—not only our country’s but—the entire human population’s hope of conquering the life-threatening disease called cancer. I predict a highly contingent possibility of this non-invasive imaging procedure with controlled release of drugs to the tumor site being effective and taken to action due to the motivation and interest that Zhang, various research laboratories from universities, and the media share.