Person to Watch in 2012: Jack Jablonski- A Boy with Perseverance

volleyball97
Important people do not have to be rich and surrounded by paparazzi; sometimes, they are teenagers like Jack Jablonski who are overcoming challenges that we cannot even imagine. Jack is a 16-year-old sophomore from Minnesota who was paralyzed after accidentally being checked from behind during a hockey tournament. He severed his spinal cord, and is now putting all of his heart into defying his diagnosis of remaining paralyzed for the rest of his life. Because of Jack's injury and the attention he has received from people worldwide, perhaps in 2012 more research will be conducted to find the proper treatment, as well as prevention, of spinal cord injuries like his.
Since I read the first news article I came across related to Jack, he has been an inspiration to me. Despite the fact that he is paralyzed, he is always looking on the bright side of things and wearing a smile for his many visitors. He already showed progress by moving his arms- something the doctors presumed he would never be able to do again. He is constantly letting those following his story know that he will skate on the ice again, no matter how long it takes or how hard he has to work. Jack lives over 2,000 miles away from me, yet he has completely changed my life. When things seem a little rocky, I just think of his determination and it instantly brings a smile to my face.
For most boys and girls Jack’s age, the biggest issue constantly on our minds is what to wear to school, or how long to study for a math test. Sometimes we forget to be thankful for everything that we have since it’s a daily occurrence in our life that we have become so accustomed to. Jack is teaching thousands of people that there is more to life than what you wear and how you look. While your jeans may be the latest style this year, they will most likely be considered outdated by next year. But people like Jack are not just phases that we go through; they stick with us for a long time. They are people with a story, a story that is changing lives worldwide.
The person to watch in 2012 is not the next political candidate or the hottest celebrity. The real person we should be following is Jack Jablonski for his contagious smile and determined heart.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:46:14 PM