Person to Watch in 2012: Mr. Yoshida

lihongman
A grumpy-looking elderly man wearing a collared shirt may not seem to be a special teacher. At first glance, his class may seem to be dull and boring. To a passerby, he seems to be very strict with a looming presence. On the third floor of Building A, resides the denizen of classroom A301, our English teacher Mr. Yoshida.
Mr. Yoshida tries his best to explain concepts we do not fully understand. For instance, when our class had difficulty understanding the difference between predicate nominatives and indirect and direct objects, he drew a diagram of a girl's and boy's bathroom. Of all the teachers I had, he is one of the few who tries to explain concepts in a different and intriguing point-of-view. He also uses past experiences to relate them to concepts in order to help us better understand. I am glad that he takes time and puts in effort to make sure we comprehend.
While we are in his class, his classroom has a good learning atmosphere. It is well-lit, relatively clean and organized, and feels comfortable. On the walls, there are colorful posters related to English that make it feel lively unlike the average high school classroom. When he teaches, he adds tidbits of side information to entertain us, keeping us engaged. When he feels we are getting bored of a certain topic, he switches to a different one to allow what we learned sink in. I feel comfortable learning in his classroom.
Mr. Yoshida is the type of teacher who looks out for our best interest not only education-wise but as a whole. He also follows rules rather strictly, because he wants us to have the necessary skills for post-high school life. He told us not to call him "Mister" (commonly used) and to address him with Mr. Yoshida because it is disrespectful and he tries to change our habit. Once, when a student who did not belong in our class passed through the room creating ruckus, Mr. Yoshida made him stay back to write an apology note. He explained to our class that he wants to keep a safe place for his students to learn without distractions. I am glad he subtly teaches us life skills without us knowing it.
Mr. Yoshida is and will continue to be a good teacher. He tries his best in everything he does, including teaching us English, keeping a good learning atmosphere, and looking out for our best interest as a whole. Even after I graduate from high school, I will still remember him as one of my best teachers. I hope he continues to teach for many years to come.