STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Person to Watch in 2012: CM Punk - The Cult of Personality

RudieCantFail
When Living Colour plays, when The Thing yells, “It’s clobberin’ time!”, when the words ‘best in the world’ are uttered, CM Punk must surely come to your mind. Weighing less than 220 pounds with slicked-back hair, sleepless eyes, pale visage, and sleeves of tattoos, one wouldn’t believe that this Chicago-native is a wrestler. In actuality, not only is he one of the bests the sport has to offer, he is also the guy who, in fact, put wrestling back on the radar in 2011.

This past summer, when CM Punk unexpectedly grabbed a microphone and opened his mouth to scathingly remark on how the WWE erringly runs its shows, nobody had any idea that he was to change the sports entertainment landscape forever. This relevant on-air stretch eventually made it to mainstream news, forming ‘The Summer of Punk’, which brought wrestling back to the spotlight. With this, Business Insider named Punk one of the 20 MVP’s of 2011. The most momentous thing he’s done was creating a revolution of change. He broke the fan status quo. From the moment he dropped those ‘pipe bombs’, he received an overwhelming response from supporters around the globe. Suddenly, he’s a big deal: his entrance theme, ‘Cult of Personality’ jumped to iTunes Top 200 the same week Punk used it on live TV; his merchandise sells out the most; and producers want to get him on their shows.

CM Punk has impacted me in a lot of ways. A skilled talker, he’s not afraid to speak his mind. When he says he’ll do something, he’ll back it up. At times, he’ll make mistakes, but he’ll be honest about them. From his straight-edge persona (which means he doesn’t smoke, drink, or do drugs) to his Muay Thai skills (this made me try out for martial arts myself!), to his commendable musical preference, I want to follow his extraordinary self-discipline. Before his career propelled to the skies, CM Punk was simply Phil Brooks. At an early age, he pursued his dream of wrestling despite discouraging comments from peers. But through hardwork and fortitude, he has finally realized his dreams and has gotten even farther. What fascinates me about Punk is his resilience. He doesn’t have the biggest advantage in the business, but he never stays down. He gets up. He survives. And through it all, he remains true to himself.

May it be a Pepsi Plunge from the top rope, or a GTS through a table, he puts his body on the line so he could put on a great show for the fans worldwide. This is why he’s important.

CM Punk is the person to watch out for in 2012. I know that he’ll impact the field of wrestling so much more. He is constantly thinking of ways to change the business for the better. He can’t do it all in one day. But, as the superhero that he is, he is resolved to accomplish his mission absolutely.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy