Person to Watch in 2012: CM Punk - The Cult of Personality

RudieCantFail
When Living Colour plays, when The Thing yells, “It’s clobberin’ time!”, when the words ‘best in the world’ are uttered, CM Punk must surely come to your mind. Weighing less than 220 pounds with slicked-back hair, sleepless eyes, pale visage, and sleeves of tattoos, one wouldn’t believe that this Chicago-native is a wrestler. In actuality, not only is he one of the bests the sport has to offer, he is also the guy who, in fact, put wrestling back on the radar in 2011.

This past summer, when CM Punk unexpectedly grabbed a microphone and opened his mouth to scathingly remark on how the WWE erringly runs its shows, nobody had any idea that he was to change the sports entertainment landscape forever. This relevant on-air stretch eventually made it to mainstream news, forming ‘The Summer of Punk’, which brought wrestling back to the spotlight. With this, Business Insider named Punk one of the 20 MVP’s of 2011. The most momentous thing he’s done was creating a revolution of change. He broke the fan status quo. From the moment he dropped those ‘pipe bombs’, he received an overwhelming response from supporters around the globe. Suddenly, he’s a big deal: his entrance theme, ‘Cult of Personality’ jumped to iTunes Top 200 the same week Punk used it on live TV; his merchandise sells out the most; and producers want to get him on their shows.

CM Punk has impacted me in a lot of ways. A skilled talker, he’s not afraid to speak his mind. When he says he’ll do something, he’ll back it up. At times, he’ll make mistakes, but he’ll be honest about them. From his straight-edge persona (which means he doesn’t smoke, drink, or do drugs) to his Muay Thai skills (this made me try out for martial arts myself!), to his commendable musical preference, I want to follow his extraordinary self-discipline. Before his career propelled to the skies, CM Punk was simply Phil Brooks. At an early age, he pursued his dream of wrestling despite discouraging comments from peers. But through hardwork and fortitude, he has finally realized his dreams and has gotten even farther. What fascinates me about Punk is his resilience. He doesn’t have the biggest advantage in the business, but he never stays down. He gets up. He survives. And through it all, he remains true to himself.

May it be a Pepsi Plunge from the top rope, or a GTS through a table, he puts his body on the line so he could put on a great show for the fans worldwide. This is why he’s important.

CM Punk is the person to watch out for in 2012. I know that he’ll impact the field of wrestling so much more. He is constantly thinking of ways to change the business for the better. He can’t do it all in one day. But, as the superhero that he is, he is resolved to accomplish his mission absolutely.