Person to Watch in 2012: The Real-Life Hermione

eksharp3000
There’s only one way to say it: 2012 is going to be a big year. There are tens, dozens, hundreds of people to “watch for,” but perhaps the most important is Emma Watson. Of course, Emma is best known for her role as Hermione in the Harry Potter film franchise, but she has been a part of other movies, fashion lines, and she even attended university in the U.S. in 2011.

This is all very impressive for a young twenty-two year old woman, but the mark that Emma has made on me is how ambitious and intelligent she really is. There is a virus left over in our world from centuries before this one that makes people think that women are not capable of anything but being housewives.

Emma Watson is a leading force in repelling this attitude. The young actress has enough money to make a living for years, maybe the rest of her life, but she is determined to earn her education and make a difference in the world. In an interview, Emma said “I feel as if, somehow, I have been under the microscope even slightly more than the boys just by being the girl. Whether it’s what I’m wearing, what I’m doing, where I’m going to school. Just in every sense, I feel as if the public is just so much harder on women.”

This is true. It is harder to be a woman in our society than it is to be a man. So often, stereotypes are projected to the teen girls of the twenty-first century that tell us that the only thing that matters is our sexuality, that the only thing that we are good for is looking pretty. As a public high school student, I receive the very maximum of these images and media.

Emma Watson, just by being who she is and doing the things she does, is a leader. It is powerful to lead by demand, but the way to really change the world is to lead by example. Emma has inspired many other girls and me by attending a credible university, by being part of a fair trade clothing movement, and by excellently portraying a character who defines the kind of woman that the dynamic twenty-first century is going to produce.

In her twenty-second year, 2012, Emma is going to continue to make an impact on the world. She is going to be a female force to watch for. Through movies, fashion, and education, Miss Watson will continue to redefine the changing nature of gender roles and other issues like education and fair trade that plague our world. Young people are the ones who are going inflict change on this warring world into which we were born, and stars like Emma Watson will lead by the examples they set.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Sounds like she's a strong lady. Nice writing. I like Emma Watson.
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:15:51 PM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:42:35 PM