Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong Un

rinusree
He has abruptly been thrust into power of arguably the most uncooperative nation in the world. He must follow in the footsteps of his forefathers. He must consolidate power, earn the respect of his military generals, and cement his population's opinions. However, this man has the opportunity to take a step towards change. He can reopen negotiations with other nations that are ready for diplomacy. He can fully carry on the legacy of his forefathers while straying from their ossified path. He can consolidate his power by proving his character and capability to his people. He can earn respect from his military without making unnecessary shows of aggression and power. He can cement his population's opinions in his favor by gaining its loyalty. The endless possibilities for change in this country all depend on one difficultly simple concept: choices. The choices of Kim Jong-Un.
With the unexpected death of his father, Kim Jong-Il, Kim Jong-Un was thrust into power, at the age of 28. North Korea has never had a stable government, but this shift in power has aggravated the preexisting instability further than ever before. Furthermore, food shortages, severe economical depression, remaining "love" for the Dear Leader, and the everlasting condemnations of South Korea for the sinking of Cheonan and the attack on Yeonpyeong gloom over Kim Jong-Un and his future. The world must pay close attention to North Korea and Kim Jong-Un's regime. The saying, "With great power, comes great responsibility", could never hold true more clearly than in the case of Kim Jong-Un. He single-handedly carries the power to start a nuclear war and completely end the world we know today. However, he also carries the power to completely transform this potentially world-threatening nation of North Korea into a diplomatic, compliant, and even friendly nation.
Kim Jong-Un's inexperience shrouds him in a veil of mystery from the world. Without any knowledge on his political perspectives, previous policies, and the magnitude of pressure he feels from succeeding his father, we cannot even hypothesize, based on his character, as to what he will do in 2012. Therefore, we must be on our toes, watching his every move. He may be the start of a new road for North Korea, or he may simply be a bump in the old road, paved by Kim Il-Sung and Kim Jong-Il.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:43:55 PM

We can only hope that in the season and atmosphere of world wide change, this new leader can make right the wrongs of his countries past. Great essay and choice.
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:12:28 AM