Person to Watch in 2012: Lady Gaga

ahardcastle
2011 proved to be a great year. The Harry Potter franchise ended, Prince Harry welcomed a sister-in-law and his home town of London experienced severe rioting, there was a tsunami in Japan and an earthquake in Virginia, and the East Coast became acquainted with Irene. There was also a great political progression that was made in New York: the passing of the same-sex marriage law. This last development was made possible not only by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) community and other sympathetic New Yorkers, but also by prominent celebrities, one of whom was the unique and unforgettable Lady Gaga. It is for this reason, among others, that I believe that Lady Gaga is the person to watch in 2012.

Stefani Joanne Germanotta, colloquially known as Lady Gaga, launched her successful pop-star career with the debut of her 2008 album The Fame. The pop star’s career was all uphill from there. Releasing two more albums over the next four years, Lady Gaga became a household name, not only for her powerful voice, catchy songs, extreme fashion preferences and elaborate dance routines, but also for her strong political stance on worldly issues. In 2009, Gaga delivered an inspirational speech at the National Equality March in Washington, D.C. Furthermore, she spoke about the unconstitutionality of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” in Maine at the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” rally in 2010.

In addition to her supporting efforts of the LGBT community, Gaga has also donated millions to relief efforts for natural disasters and the prevention of HIV and AIDS. Furthermore, Gaga and her mother founded the “Born This Way Foundation,” a non-profit organization that focuses on youth-empowerment and addresses common issues amongst today’s youth.

Lady Gaga has impacted me in more ways than one. Her music gives me the confidence and self-assurance I need for the realization that I can achieve anything that I work hard for. Starting as a humble New Yorker, Gaga has worked her way up, despite hostile and daunting critiques from people who said that she would never make it in the world of performing arts, and has successfully emerged as a strong, powerful, talented and iconic woman in today’s society. She is a great inspiration for so much that I do and gives me the strength to strive for my personal aspirations as well as to speak out for my beliefs.

2011 was a successful year for Gaga; she was nominated for 98 international awards, including a Grammy, and won 41. Gaga also topped Forbes’ Celebrity 100 List. Her album Born This Way was received with great success, selling 1.108 million copies in its first week alone. Plans for a new album, to be released in 2012, have already been confirmed, as she told tabloids that she “just want[s] to keep going.” 2012 is bound to be another successful year of music, with Lady Gaga reemerging on top as a pop icon, fashion muse and artist extraordinaire.