STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Person to Watch in 2012: Lady Gaga

ahardcastle
2011 proved to be a great year. The Harry Potter franchise ended, Prince Harry welcomed a sister-in-law and his home town of London experienced severe rioting, there was a tsunami in Japan and an earthquake in Virginia, and the East Coast became acquainted with Irene. There was also a great political progression that was made in New York: the passing of the same-sex marriage law. This last development was made possible not only by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) community and other sympathetic New Yorkers, but also by prominent celebrities, one of whom was the unique and unforgettable Lady Gaga. It is for this reason, among others, that I believe that Lady Gaga is the person to watch in 2012.

Stefani Joanne Germanotta, colloquially known as Lady Gaga, launched her successful pop-star career with the debut of her 2008 album The Fame. The pop star’s career was all uphill from there. Releasing two more albums over the next four years, Lady Gaga became a household name, not only for her powerful voice, catchy songs, extreme fashion preferences and elaborate dance routines, but also for her strong political stance on worldly issues. In 2009, Gaga delivered an inspirational speech at the National Equality March in Washington, D.C. Furthermore, she spoke about the unconstitutionality of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” in Maine at the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” rally in 2010.

In addition to her supporting efforts of the LGBT community, Gaga has also donated millions to relief efforts for natural disasters and the prevention of HIV and AIDS. Furthermore, Gaga and her mother founded the “Born This Way Foundation,” a non-profit organization that focuses on youth-empowerment and addresses common issues amongst today’s youth.

Lady Gaga has impacted me in more ways than one. Her music gives me the confidence and self-assurance I need for the realization that I can achieve anything that I work hard for. Starting as a humble New Yorker, Gaga has worked her way up, despite hostile and daunting critiques from people who said that she would never make it in the world of performing arts, and has successfully emerged as a strong, powerful, talented and iconic woman in today’s society. She is a great inspiration for so much that I do and gives me the strength to strive for my personal aspirations as well as to speak out for my beliefs.

2011 was a successful year for Gaga; she was nominated for 98 international awards, including a Grammy, and won 41. Gaga also topped Forbes’ Celebrity 100 List. Her album Born This Way was received with great success, selling 1.108 million copies in its first week alone. Plans for a new album, to be released in 2012, have already been confirmed, as she told tabloids that she “just want[s] to keep going.” 2012 is bound to be another successful year of music, with Lady Gaga reemerging on top as a pop icon, fashion muse and artist extraordinaire.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy