Person to Watch in 2012: Kim Jong-un

[email protected]
While the leader of an Asian country barely the size of Mississippi wouldn’t seem to have a colossal influence over the world order, Kim Jong-un of North Korea is an interesting exception. The new dictator comes from a line of tyrants who have put the country into their cult of personality since 1948. The ruler of the antisocial country has suddenly had enormous amounts of pressure put on his shoulders as he has unexpectedly inherited the leadership from his father after his death on the 17 of December of 2011. He is the person to watch in 2012, as he leads one of the most explosive countries on the planet into situations that will either benefit the world, or destroys himself by his own poor choices, all with almost no political experience.
While it may be difficult to surpass his predecessors’ brutality and aggressiveness, Kim Jong-un just may find a way. For instance, it is widely believed that North Korea is in possession of nuclear weapons, or at least has attempted to create them. These facts, combined with the extremely tense relationship with basically any country that isn’t China, could create some very big problems. His eagerness to prove himself, his lack of political experience and being raised in a communist country and hating capitalists, he may decide to one up Osama bin-Laden and actually direct a nuclear strike to America. To state the obvious, this would be very, very bad, perhaps destroying a large American city such as Los Angeles, Chicago, or perhaps our capital at Washington D.C. Fortunately, this seems unlikely that he would choose this path, as this would mean mutually assured destruction of his country and would guarantee his own death for almost no gain.
The citizens of North Korea have been through a lot in the past sixty years, but it may just get worse. The new ruler could decide to abuse his power even more than his predecessors and try to have complete control of his people. Now, the citizens have been brainwashed to believe that their ruler is a god amongst men, and the family has ruled since the fifties, but as the recent Arab Spring movement has shown, even the most controlling regimes can come to an end at the will of the people. This would bring an end to the system that has severely limited the people’s freedom, and the new country would be allowed to start again in this world, now completely free, and most countries would have one less thing to worry about.
As you can see, even though one doesn’t expect or realize that the ruler of a small country across the Pacific Ocean can have a significant effect on their lives, it is plain that it is quite possible. To say the least, it will be very interesting to see how this new ruler fairs running the most tightly censored and volatile countries in the world.