Person to Watch in 2012: David Eddings

hathia
Last year I discovered a book on my home library's shelves. It was sitting there, forlorn, waiting for somebody to read it. I took pity on it and brought it to school to read during my free time. That book was Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings. And I can honestly say that reading that book was one of the best things I ever did.

The name David Eddings was not unknown to me at that time. I had seen my dad reading some of his books when I was younger, and he'd recommended them to me. But somehow I just never got around to reading them. In retrospect, I realize that even if I had read them, I probably wouldn't have understood half of what was going on. But 14 was apparently the right age for me, because Eddings' books crack me up. His use of sarcasm in just the right places makes me think of some of the conversations my parents and I have sometimes. The characters all feel like they're living, breathing people, and I was crushed when I reached the end of Pawn of Prophecy. Luckily I discovered that my dad had the rest of the series, and more besides, at home, so I immediately started to plow my way through them. There are definitely some adult innuendos in his books, and some of the scenes are pretty graphic, but they only add to the charm his books have.

Recently I have found out that David Eddings died in 2009, and I was devastated that the world had lost such a talented author. I was also slightly disappointed that I seemed to be the only person (that I could see) who was reading his books. But recently I have seen several people immersed in one of his books, and my hopes have started to rise again. Even though he is no longer alive, I would definitely put him in my Person to Watch spot. His books are truly works of art. These marvelous tales are worthy to be alongside Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings, in film as well as writing.