Person to Watch in 2012: The Seventeen Year Old On the Road to Redemption

Armygirl0604
My person to watch in the coming year is not a politician. He is not a celebrity, an author, or even someone related to me. My person is my neighbor and friend, Christian, but maybe not for the reasons someone reading this would expect. It has nothing to do with his charm, his good looks, or the way he looks at me. It is not related to his singing, his wit, or even the way he’s good to everyone, all the time.
Christian and I did not have a good year in 2011. To be quite frank, he fell quickly from “best friend” to “most hated enemy.” He was cruel, arrogant, pushy, and had a serious tendency to blow me off at the last moment. He sent me home in tears multiple times. Chris took me for granted; he always assumed that I’d be right there, no matter what, and he took advantage of how much I cared about him. I loved him, and I wanted the best for him, but he was dragging me down into despair and self-pity. He very nearly broke my faith in our generation’s male populace.
That all changed this past January. Through no will of my own, I was forced to reconcile with him, and during this, we had a very brief, very serious discussion on what would have to change before I’d consider being his friend again. We’ve grown apart in the past several months, but I could still tell from the look in his eyes that he didn’t take that well at all.
For the first time in three years, though, Christian remembered my birthday. He got me a bracelet, among other things, and he actually took the time to wrap the gift. He makes an effort to try to treat me better. I don’t know if he’s just trying to get back in my good graces, or if he truly wants to redeem himself, but whatever he’s intending, he’s definitely earning his way there the hard way.
I don’t know if he’ll impact society in the coming year. I do know that he makes a difference in my life, though, and that I make a difference to others. Through each other, we’re all connected. Christian’s personality reformation has given me hope that in the next year, I can become a better person too. It makes it a higher chance that I’ll affect more lives in a more positive way than I did last year. I don’t know if we’ll stay friends, but I do know that through his hope, he’s affected mine.
And all it takes to chance the world is working one person at a time.