Person to Watch in 2012: The Republican Presidential Candiate

mmdesjardin
With the presidential elections coming up we as Americans are forced to make a choice on who is better suited to run our country. The two major political parties have already started gearing up, with the nasty campaign commercials in full swing. For the Republican party this election is huge, the main question is; who could beat President Barack Obama? The three front runners currently are Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, and Rick Santorum, but who really has the knowledge and chutzpa to beat President Obama.

Newt Gingrich is a strong contender in winning the election, for one thing he’s really intelligent. Also he has been considered a great negotiator while he served as Speaker of the House of Representatives during the Clinton administration. Gingrich is also a fighter and great debater, when CNN brought up the interview that his ex wife had with ABC News as the first “topic” in the South Carolina debate he didn’t simply deny answering the question he fought back against the curator. This, being brought up by a generally “neutral” news network leads Republicans to think how strong a fighter he could be against the more liberal media. But does America need a fighter or someone with a positive history in business?

Mitt Romney has spent most of his life in the private sector. He worked at Bain Capital, an investment company that bought out and restored small businesses, some did fail, but overall the outcome of the businesses were positive. Romney has been considered a moderate conservative, this has helped and hurt him in the primary election. The conservatives are worried that he may not represent their views, but others think because he’s moderate he could get more of the independent vote. Could he be the answer that the Republicans have been looking for or do they need a more “conservative” conservative?

Rick Santorum has been portrayed as the most socially conservative of the three candidates, this could help or hurt him. His views on homosexuality and abortion have got most true blue conservative’s votes, but what about the rest of the political spectrum? Yes he is the true blue conservative, but this is only the primary, would Santorum be as appealing to the independents and more moderate liberals? He has been criticized for being too conservative, but are we as a nation to a point where we would like a true conservative to be running our nation?

All of these candidates have the potential to become The President of the United States, it just depends on what America is looking for. Do we want a strong fighter and negotiator? A businessman with a successful history? Or a true blue conservative? It’s up to us to determine what is the best for our country, and who could move our country into a positive horizon. Could President Obama do this for us, or do we need a change of pace? It is time for all of us to decide who we are and what we stand for this year.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:43:36 PM

Your evaluation of these three candidates was a very simple and efficient summary, yet solid to the point of each. I am sure one of these candidates will excel in this election and I wish to you the same in this contest!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:04:33 AM