Person to Watch in 2012: Angela Zhang: Girl Scientist

sherry3576
Throughout history, we remember Louis Pasteur and Emile Roux, we remember Jonas Salk, we remember Edward Jenner. These men cured diseases that killed thousands in their times. They created vaccinations for diphtheria, polio, and small pox respectively. They are revered within the medical field and elsewhere, for their dedication and commitment to save humanity as we know it. Their names, engraved in textbooks, remain prominent as modern day educated researchers strive to become the next Jonas Salk, the next Edward Jenner, of their fields. These educated researchers have nothing on Angela Zhang. Miss Zhang is a high-school student who seems to have found a promising new way to cure cancer.
At first glance, Zhang is an average 17 year old girl. She has straight black hair and has an uncanny obsession with shoes. However, nothing of what Zhang has accomplished is at all mediocre. She, at 15, decided that she was going to find a cure for cancer. She spent thousands of hours creating a nano particle that could very well save millions of lives, something scientists are now calling the Swiss army knife of cancer, in the revolutionary way it attacks cancer cells and cancer cells only, and then deposits gold and iron-oxide materials in the part of the body the cancer used to be, showing future trouble spots to oncologists. Zhang entered her findings in Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology, and won first prize, 100,000 dollars. I don't know what I'll be doing at 17, but I can tell you right now, I won't be developing cures, winning world famous science competitions, or winning 100,000 dollars for doing anything. While most 17 year olds wallow in pits of self-despair and suffer from a severe case of 'the-earth-revolves-around-me-and-you-just-happen-to-be-living-on-it' syndrome, Angela has accomplished more in 17 years than college-educated researchers dream to accomplish in lifetimes. Today, on January 23rd, 2012, I have yet to meet one person who has not been ravaged with the devastating effects of cancer, either personally or through family, friends, or otherwise. In five years, who knows, maybe cancer will no longer be the murderer it is today, and it will be thanks to a 17 year old girl.
With accomplishments like these, there is no doubt that the world will be watching Angela in 2012, the earth her ampitheater, the 7 billion strong population her audience, and science her stage.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:46:58 PM
Comment by CatttaStrophe

I like it) well done!
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:00:20 PM

You picked a candidate that shows to all of us that no matter who we are, we can achieve great accomplishment no matter the odds. I appreciate your writing on this. Great job and good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:11:46 AM